Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideas for railing at top of retaining wall?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ideas for railing at top of retaining wall?

Hi! We will have a large retaining wall around three sides of our pool (the side near the house and two sides) and it will be tall. About 5-7 feet tall at the biggest side. Anyway. My question is what type of railing should I put around the top of my retaining wall? Our pool steps down into the retaining area but the rest of our yard is level w/top of retaining wall so don't want anyone falling over down the wall!

At first we liked the idea of building planters around the top--but worried it wouldn't prevent a fall? Also worry a rail might not look as nice and a fence we think would be overkill.

I'd love to see pictures of what others have done and/or hear your suggestions!

Thank you!
    IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ideas for railing at top of retaining wall?

not sure what kind of look you're going for but here's our railing around the pool which is fairly contemporary (round top bar with flat/wide inner bars. (Ignore the rust and clutter - busy with twins so haven't been able to maintain the way I need to)
    Main Pool: Cl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (same height) // Jandy RS8 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy VS Flow Pro Pump + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jandy DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons
    Vacation Pool: NaCl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (elevated spa) // Jandy RS4 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy Stealth Pump (Converted to 2hp 2-Speed) + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jany DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

If you live in an area with building codes, they'll tell you what you need for a railing. You may even need to provide structural calcs since it will serve more as a guardrail than a handrail.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi! I'm still looking for ideas on a type of railing for our retaining wall. (We already have a fence around our yard so are good there). I had hoped nothing would be needed--so I could think about it and do something in the spring time--but our PB is confident the inspector will require we have something now. Here are some pictures of the wall. Any tips/ideas/pictures/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

IG Vinyl Mountain Pond 22x36/ Depth: 3'4"-6'6"/ About 19,000 Gallons/ Pentair/ Clean&Clear Plus420/ Intellichlor IC40/
    Easy Touch/ Intellabrite 5G LED Color-Changing Light/ DeckJetsII/ S.R.Smith slide

5. Back To Top    #5

If it is not a code required railing I would consider planting a hedge there
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Unless you are required to install something at most I'd go with is a hedge.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd be tempted to do nothing if not required by code.... Some nighttime lighting may help too along the top of the wall.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

It doesn't look like you have a whole lot of depth up there to work with. I also could see you wanting to maintain the ability to walk between the stairs and the retaining wall. I believe a hedge may impede that walkway and could be something that adds to your overall yard maintenance. It will need trimmed, mulched, etc. This may not be a big deal but just some thoughts on the hedge. They do look nice when well maintained and chosen/sighted properly. If you look at the link below, in the 3rd section from the bottom, there are pictures of aluminum fencing installed along the top of retaining walls with height variations, similar to your situation. Aluminum fencing will need practically no maintenance, not reduce visibility much and looks great. The con will be price, but it's only money right?

I do feel that with the potential for children or a less able-bodied person to fall (and onto a hard surface) that something to safeguard the area would be appropriate. That or an umbrella insurance policy (which you should have anyway).

http://www.ifenceusa.com/customfence.php
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I suspect that the city of Lexington requires building permits for the installation of your pool and the retaining wall (given its height the longest part appears to be at least 5 feet high - including the footing). Both of those permits likely should have been done at the same time. The retaining wall design, if a permit was applied for, should have specified a fence at the top that any inspector is going to want to see.

Just to give you some reading for thought, you might want to take a look at the following link from Allan Block, which describes the challenges of a fence at the top of a wall. Toppling of the top courses is your biggest issue.

http://www.allanblock.com/newsletter...ws-issue7.aspx
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Nice link!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!