Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Can overflow really handle the rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Can overflow really handle the rain?

A new salt water pool here, and it's been a nightmare from day one of the build. The overflow is not handling rain. Any suggestions? The company told me to hook up a hose to the outlet they have above the pump and drain it that way. I can't imagine I have to worry about this every time it rains? Also does it hurt the pool if the water comes up over the coping?

2. Back To Top    #2

Sounds odd to me. I have a 2" overflow pipe, right behind a little grill, right at the water line. Even in the hardest rain we have had, the pool has never filled to overflowing.

How about a picture of your overflow port.... Where does it go. Is it plumbed to a drain or the street or ??

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Weinaus View Post
    The company told me to hook up a hose to the outlet they have above the pump and drain it that way. I can't imagine I have to worry about this every time it rains?

I would do what they suggested for the time being then make them fix the problem. Tell them this is unacceptable and they need to remedy the situation...Especially if rain is an issue where you are
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like they plumbed the overflow wrong. I'm with CJ, make them fix it.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Weinaus View Post
    A new salt water pool here, and it's been a nightmare from day one of the build. The overflow is not handling rain. Any suggestions? The company told me to hook up a hose to the outlet they have above the pump and drain it that way. I can't imagine I have to worry about this every time it rains? Also does it hurt the pool if the water comes up over the coping?

Is there a pop up by the street?? or better yet ask the pool company where it drains to...Grass could have grown over the pop up restricting full flow. I keep mine trimmed with the weed-eater. Ive seen st augustine hold down a pop up sprinkler with water pressure using behind it so a spring loaded drain pop up would be no issue. Also check to see if someone could have run over the drain line at the edge of the street. Already replaced on here also.

You're probably dealing with the same rain we've gotten (Cypress, TX - 7" since Friday evening)

Ours has maintained the normal level - so yours is blocked somehow.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

6. Back To Top    #6

This is what a pop up looks like, in case you didn't know, and how I keep it trimmed.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")