Crazy Chems

HammerGeek

In The Industry
Aug 15, 2016
Wichita Falls, TX
OK....After reading a bunch of stuff on here I fairly sure I've been "Pool Stored." After weeks of clear water, I dumped about $200 worth of chemicals (per pool store computer generated suggestions) in my pool last week to combat slight haze and some algae. A week later my FC is high at least 10, pH is low about 6.8, TA is high about 180. Other than pool store generator, I've been using BioGuard test Strips. That's how I got those numbers. I also get algae slowly growing on the bottom of the pool. Like I can see it on the steps and see it when I brush the steps and sides.

I just ordered a TF-100 test kit (literally in the last 30 min). I just hope I don't have to wait a week or two to get it in to get a real view of my pool chem levels.

I added 5 lbs of sodium carbonate to try and bring the pH up.
My understanding is the high TA will make it more difficult to change the pH (e.g. high TA makes pH move very slowly, while low TA allows pH to swing quickly). <--- Is that correct?
I'm hoping bring the pH up will help the FC to to calm down a little. I even thought about not adding any more chlorine sticks to the skimmer to also help FC come down.

Any short term suggestions while I wait on my TF-100?
I have a 20,000 gal, Gunite pool that has been painted.

OK....After reading a bunch of stuff on here I fairly sure I've been "Pool Stored." After weeks of clear water, I dumped about $200 worth of chemicals (per pool store computer generated suggestions) in my pool last week to combat slight haze and some algae. A week later my FC is high at least 10, pH is low about 6.8, TA is high about 180. Other than pool store generator, I've been using BioGuard test Strips. That's how I got those numbers. I also get algae slowly growing on the bottom of the pool. Like I can see it on the steps and see it when I brush the steps and sides.

I just ordered a TF-100 test kit (literally in the last 30 min). I just hope I don't have to wait a week or two to get it in to get a real view of my pool chem levels.

I added 5 lbs of sodium carbonate to try and bring the pH up.
My understanding is the high TA will make it more difficult to change the pH (e.g. high TA makes pH move very slowly, while low TA allows pH to swing quickly). <--- Is that correct?
I'm hoping bring the pH up will help the FC to to calm down a little. I even thought about not adding any more chlorine sticks to the skimmer to also help FC come down.

Any short term suggestions while I wait on my TF-100?
I have a 20,000 gal, Gunite pool that has been painted.

Welcome!

Please use liquid chlorine (bleach) exclusively from this point on to chlorinate your pool. Start adding 1/2 gal of bleach daily until your kit arrives and you can post here the actual numbers. If you notice increased rate of algae growth increase your daily dose to 1 gal. That is as much as I can do blindly.

Any special brand? Or just buy Clorox?
And when you say, "liquid chlorine exclusively" that includes discontinuing sticks/tabs and burnout75?

Any plain unscented not splashless bleach will do. Common concentrations are 8.25% and less often 10%. Pool Stores sell sometimes Liquid Chlorine at 12.5% in 1 gal jugs. Just make sure you don't buy anything else there for now.

Yes, bleach only. It doesn't add anything besides FC to the water. All solid forms of chlorine add either CYA or CH and you really don't want any extras until you can measure your actual levels.

I have a set of links I set up for new pool owners. It is a lot of info so take it slow and easy. Once you start using it it will start to make sense:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.