Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I Fear I May Lose the Battle!

1. Back To Top    #1

Oceanside, CA

I Fear I May Lose the Battle!

Looking for a bit of guidance and I'm at a loss. I have a 24,000 gal Pebble Tec in-ground pool with all Pentair equipment (cartridge filter, heater, and pumps) and an Intellichlor salt system. The pool has given me almost no problems in the 9 years since I bought the house.

While away for 2 weeks vacation in July my Hayward pool vac apparently decided to stop working due to a vacuum problem and since my dogs were away with the family, a pair of ducks from a nearby pond decided to set up housekeeping in my pool.

I returned to a very green pool with all kinds of "yucky stuff" at the bottom of the deep end that has resisted all my attempts to clean and restore it to its previously clear beauty. The pool vac continues to not work due to a intermittent and severe reduction in suction from the filter.

I've spent hours brushing the sides and bottom and I've superclorinated and shocked the pool over and over and have changed and cleaned the filter cartridges so many times I can do it in my sleep. My chemistry numbers look OK with pH and alkalinity where they should be, free chlorine around 5. My CA level was low so I've dosed the pool twice with conditioner although it still tests out a bit low.

I don't know how to clean out the crud at the bottom of the pool since I don't have adequate suction and brushing and running the filter doesn't seem to make a dent. Unfortunately our local pool repair folks are overworked and appointments are hard to get and scheduled far in the future.

I'll take any suggestions I can get.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    24000 gallon Pebble Tec in-ground pool
    Pentair pumps, cartridge filter, heater, and Intellichlor salt system

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: I Fear I May Lose the Battle!

Welcome to TFP!

Algae will clog a filter quickly. With algae you will need to clean the filter every day or two potentially. FC at 5 is low, but need to know your CYA to know what your FC needs to be.

This is how we kill algae, SLAM

You will need one of these, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals. I use the TF-100 from

More here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Ogden, UT

Re: I Fear I May Lose the Battle!

Getting the crud off the bottom should very high priority... If you give the algae a place to live, you can slam until you are blue in the face... Clean the slate for the best results...
    Leaf vacuum, brush, get in and scoop it out... what ever you need to do
    Inherited 24' Muskin Above ground
    13500 gal
    Hayward S180T92S Sand filter
    Taylor K-2006C Speedstir
    TFPC for Beginners | Pool Math | Pool School | CYA Chart | SLAM | Test Kits | ABC's