Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fast Pool Opening Without Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Fast Pool Opening Without Filter

I have a ~35,000 gallon gunnite pool that I'm looking to make swimmable by this weekend (3 days) without the use of a filter. Not sure if this is possible. Here's what I know:

- It has been closed for a year and has a lot of junk in it.
    - I don't want to open it permanently - just for a short period. Just enough to swim in it for a couple days.
    - I can use an external pump - maybe a 1.5 HP Hayward - to clean out all the muck, but cannot turn on the main system.

I expect there are a couple things I need to do:

- Clean out all the big junk in the pool. Suggestions on how to do this? An external pump I expect is my best bet - correct me if wrong.
    - Start a chemical regimen. What recipe of chemicals will clean this baby up as quickly as possible? Doesn't need to look crystal clear, just swimmable. Reminder: it's a gunnite pool, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fast Pool Opening Without Filter

Welcome to TFP!

I don't think what you are proposing is likely to be done successfully.

You need water circulation to add chemicals, but that is going to mix the dirt and make the water murky. You need a filter to clear the debris. If you can not clearly see the bottom, it is not safe.

Do you have a recommended test kit to test your water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Agreed the likelihood of success is slim. You'd have to scoop out all debris with a leaf rake and pump out pretty much all the water with a trash pump. The fill it and SLAM it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Spoanon_2014 View Post
    I have a ~35,000 gallon gunnite pool that I'm looking to make swimmable by this weekend (3 days) without the use of a filter. Not sure if this is possible. Here's what I know:

- It has been closed for a year and has a lot of junk in it.
    - I don't want to open it permanently - just for a short period. Just enough to swim in it for a couple days.
    - I can use an external pump - maybe a 1.5 HP Hayward - to clean out all the muck, but cannot turn on the main system.

I expect there are a couple things I need to do:

- Clean out all the big junk in the pool. Suggestions on how to do this? An external pump I expect is my best bet - correct me if wrong.
    - Start a chemical regimen. What recipe of chemicals will clean this baby up as quickly as possible? Doesn't need to look crystal clear, just swimmable. Reminder: it's a gunnite pool, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    Welcome!

As mentioned, without a filter I don't see how this would be possible, even if you could turn the green to blue in 3 days (highly unlikely) you would still have murky, debris filled water that would not be very nice to swim in, and dangerous if you cannot see bottom. You would be struggling to maintain a safe FC level also as the organic debris is being oxidized and consuming the chlorine you are adding. You would pretty much need to empty the pool as much as safely possible and re-fill.

Do you own a FAS/DPD test kit? You will need it to maintain the proper FC levels to clear the pool regardless.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!