Adding an in-line chlorinator

Russmd

May 14, 2013
I've given up trying to keep my chlorine levels as high as they need to be just using my SWG - during the hot summer here, even cranked at 100% and running 12 hours a day, the Aquapure 1400 still can't keep the chlorine levels up and I'm having to constantly supplement. I also have to descale the cell around every three weeks like this. Just please accept my word that all other levels - CYA, pH, etc are optimized. I only have a one-speed pump and two speed won't work for me as the aquapure won't sense enough flow at low speed (have had trouble there before).

So, I bought a Pentair in-line chlorinator that I can use to supplement in the summertime. The diagram shows that I should install it on both sides of the gas heater. No problem, but my SWG cell is in-line just past the heater. Dos it matter if the output of this chlorinator is before or after the cell? My pool guy says the more acidic water coming out of the cell from the dissolving tablets may help to keep the scale down on the cell. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Russ

I would put it after the SWG. No need to acid wash your SWG all the time, it will likely shorten the life.

To prevent the scale in your SWG (and pool) maintain your CSI between -0.3 and 0. PoolMath will give you the number, tweak PH and/or TA to adjust it. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

I'm assuming that, with a SWG, your CYA is already at 70 or 80. If you start using tablets in a chlorinator, you're going to start raising that up pretty quickly. It won't be long before you have CYA at 150 or 160 and recurring algae problems.

It's OK and probably easier just to supplement your SWG with liquid chlorine a couple of times a week.

I suggest keeping all of your questions on the same thread.

Let's get you through the SLAM and see if we can help get your SWG dialed in. While your SWG isn't the optimal size for your pool, you should be able to increase the pump run time and the SWG run time in order to meet your needs.

If electricity is high you could switch to a two speed or a variable speed pump so that you can run your SWG longer and save electricity.

As requested on the other thread, a full set of results will be very helpful to us.

Thanks. Yes, I'm going to continue on the other thread- at first they were two separate questions but now seem to be intertwined.
As I mentioned somewhere else, I can't do a variable speed pump as I've always had trouble with the flow sensor not sensing flow when flow decreases even a little as the grids get filled up. It only reliably works at full speed so I haven't even thought of going there.
I just got solar electricity so can probably stand to Increase run time. Does it make any difference for the longevity of the cell and production if I run at 100% vs 50% for twice the time?

The SWG grids shouldn't have a problem unless your CSI is high.... another reason we would like to see a full set of test results (hint hint). A high CSI can lead to premature scaling on your grills, which will cause more frequent clean of the cells which if done too frequently can lead to an early death of the cell. The fewer times you clean with acid the better as the acid removes a layer of the cell.

If you have a problem with your inline flow sensor, you can always replace it pretty cheaply. I think there were a couple of people complaining about their Jandy flow sensors in other threads.

No, the cell life doesn't matter if you run the SWG 100% for 4 hours vs 50% for 6 hours. The percentage tells the SWG how often to cycle on and off.

I meant the filter grids between cleanings - anything that reduces flow gives me a no-flow error. Those sensors are not cheap, upwards of $160, and fail quite quickly. I've been a part of multiple previous threads discussing that. There's not much I can do about the calcium as our water here is terribly hard. Results pending.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.