Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor Iron Test Accuracy

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor Iron Test Accuracy

How prone is the Taylor Iron test to false negatives?

I've tested water that I am 200% sure has large amounts of iron and the test shows absolutely nothing.

Is there any accurate way to test for metals without using a lab?
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor Iron Test Accuracy

Which iron test is it?

Both sequestrants and precipitated iron (iron oxide and iron hydroxide) can interfere with getting accurate results.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Taylor Iron Test Accuracy

It's the K-1716

I'm testing the fill water as well, which wouldn't be sequestered or precipated.

I know there's iron because

A) Staining
    B) The water turned green, I brought it up to SLAM level, and it turned coffee brown.

Not my pool BTW.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Taylor Iron Test Accuracy

Staining and coloration indicate that the iron is the 3+ oxidation state (ferrous iron). TPTZ (tripyridyl-s-triazine, the indicator in that test) is only sensitive to soluble iron which the ferric form or Fe2+ oxidation state. Copper causes a positive interference (more color so a false high value) while sodium causes a mild negative interference (interferes with color formation and so gives a false low value). Treated water from a water softener or a salt water pool might have too much sodium in it.

The R-0851 reagent #1 is essentially 8% HCl with a reducing agent (hydroxylamine) which is supposed to digest any sequestrant and cause iron 3+ compounds to become iron 2+ BUT there has to be iron particles in the water to do that. If the water sample is clear, then there might not be enough iron (3+) in the sample to be measurable.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates