Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Galaxy Saphire Pebble Fina Turning White

1. Back To Top    #1

Galaxy Saphire Pebble Fina Turning White

Hi all, we just bought this house about 3 months ago and first time pool owner. Between the time we made the offer and closing, the owner moved, the power went out leaving the pump off for a couple of weeks. When we moved in, we noticed the sapphire finish had turned white, almost all the way to the water line. We actually thought, at first, that there was a layer of black algae around to top, but it was actually the sapphire finish that had not yet turned white. I brushed like crazy and got it to recede toward the bottom of the pool, but could not get it off of the bottom. CYA level was over 200, so we had Keith Zars drain and acid wash the pool. It looked much better afterwards, but to me, still not new. After drain we refilled the pool with regular city water per Keith Zars which is very hard.

Fast forward 2 months, it looks like its starting to happen again, white swirly areas and this time with dime sized white spots to accent! It seems like it started after the first backwash after the drain/acid wash. It does not brush off. Have had Keith Zars out 2 or 3 times, water is near perfect.

Total Hardness = 200
    Free Chlorine/Bromine = 2 to 4, fluctuates, but always on the high side. I have difficulty getting it lower... I have the chlorinator off now and it is still not moving
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 90
    CYA = 30 to 50

I always top the pool off with city water, can/should I use softened water????

Help! I don't want to pay for an acid wash again.

What is causing this and is there anything I can do to clean up what is there now?

Thanks!
    HG
    13,500 gal, in ground, Keith Zars Pool. 60 sqft DE filter, Jandy variable speed pump, chlorinator, and ozonator.
    Saphire Galaxy Pebble Fina plaster. Built 4/2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Galaxy Saphire Pebble Fina Turning White

Welcome to TFP!

To prevent scale maintain CSI between -0.3 and 0. PoolMath will give you the number, adust pH and/or TA to tweak the number.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Your FC is too low for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart

Do some reading here
    SLAM
    And here
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you! Is using softened water ok to refill the pool and lower CH?
    13,500 gal, in ground, Keith Zars Pool. 60 sqft DE filter, Jandy variable speed pump, chlorinator, and ozonator.
    Saphire Galaxy Pebble Fina plaster. Built 4/2013

4. Back To Top    #4

It is ok, but your CH is a little low. It should be 250 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach