Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rough vermiculite floor

1. Back To Top    #1

Rough vermiculite floor

I just finished troweling the vermiculite for for my ig vinyl liner pool. It still has some high spots that need to be knocked down and some low spots to be fill but overall I am happy with the way it turned out. My only concern is that the surface is kind of rough to the touch. Is this normal or is it supposed to be smooth like regular concrete? I was thinking about using an orbital sander to smooth it out a bit. Has anyone tried this or is it not necessary? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rough vermiculite floor

When you say rough to the touch just how rough are you talking about? To me concrete is rough to the touch so........

I would use great care with the sander. A very light touch and almost no pressure. Please tell me you are talking about a small, hand held one. NOT one of those huge monsters they do floors with. The big one would ruin all of your hard work I fear

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    When you say rough to the touch just how rough are you talking about? To me concrete is rough to the touch so........

I would use great care with the sander. A very light touch and almost no pressure. Please tell me you are talking about a small, hand held one. NOT one of those huge monsters they do floors with. The big one would ruin all of your hard work I fear

It feels like a rough sand paper. The surface is just not slick like a finished concrete, it is more like open pores.

Was going to use a hand sander. A large floor sander would be faster but i think it would remove to much material too fast.

Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

It absolutely wont be slick like finished concrete. What did you use to trowel? Using a "pool float" should give you the correct finish.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    It absolutely wont be slick like finished concrete. What did you use to trowel? Using a "pool float" should give you the correct finish.
    I used a pool float. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't supposed to be slick. Thanks.