Chipmunks

skinpath

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2016
Pittsford, NY
I’ve seen chipmunks running around the pool area and it looks like they’ve dug some holes in the dirt at the edge of the concrete on one side of the pool.
I don’t find them to be too bothersome, but I’m worried about the possibility that they will damage the pool. Is this likely?

I rescued one out of my skimmer, no more since then (found a few dead mice in one, 1 each on different mornings) early in the season though. Don't know about damage, I don't think they burrow deep/long enough to really cause any problems.

Hi,
We have lots of Eastern chipmunks in Pennsylvania (well of course, what other kind would we have?!)
They burrow but do not do any damage, so far.
I hate drowning them so we bought a couple of Frog Logs. Put one next to each skimmer, haven't lost a critter since then.

Over time with a large enough population chipmunk tunnels can get large enough to do damage. They essentially can excavate enough soil under foundations and sidewalks to cause settling issues. I wouldn't panic at the site of one or two chipmunk tunnels near the pool I also wouldn't encourage them to stick around either.

Since I originally posted, a couple of them have managed to find their way into the chipmunk afterlife via the pool.

Maybe they couldn't live with the idea that I will be closing the pool soon, or maybe they had a falling out with the local chipmunk gang.

In any case - maybe it will work as a form of population control. If not, does anyone have a recommendation for how to ward them off / eliminate them?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.