Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chipmunks

1. Back To Top    #1

Chipmunks

Ive seen chipmunks running around the pool area and it looks like theyve dug some holes in the dirt at the edge of the concrete on one side of the pool.
    I dont find them to be too bothersome, but Im worried about the possibility that they will damage the pool. Is this likely?
    In-ground (24x40) vinyl pool (~25k gallons), Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter (Model CC420P - 150 gpm), Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair MasterTemp 250 Heater. TF100 test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chipmunks

dont know about pool damage but you are likely to find at least one at the bottom of your pool. at our place, they dont seem to learn.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, switching to TFP chlorine in 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

I rescued one out of my skimmer, no more since then (found a few dead mice in one, 1 each on different mornings) early in the season though. Don't know about damage, I don't think they burrow deep/long enough to really cause any problems.
    27400 IG vinyl liner, Hayward t-15 SWG, Challenger/Pentair 1HP, Hayward S-210T Sand Filter
    Dolphin Nautilus, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Even though I see them scurrying around all the time, none has ended up in the pool yet.

I've had a couple rats, something that was either a shrew or a mole, and a frog. But no chipmunks....yet.
    In-ground (24x40) vinyl pool (~25k gallons), Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter (Model CC420P - 150 gpm), Pentair 1.5 HP pump, Pentair MasterTemp 250 Heater. TF100 test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi,
    We have lots of Eastern chipmunks in Pennsylvania (well of course, what other kind would we have?!)
    They burrow but do not do any damage, so far.
    I hate drowning them so we bought a couple of Frog Logs. Put one next to each skimmer, haven't lost a critter since then.
    In-ground, 13,000 gallon pool, plaster, built 2008-9.
    Pump Whisper-flow 60 gpm DE filter
    Spa: 2013 Hot Springs/salt generator

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Over time with a large enough population chipmunk tunnels can get large enough to do damage. They essentially can excavate enough soil under foundations and sidewalks to cause settling issues. I wouldn't panic at the site of one or two chipmunk tunnels near the pool I also wouldn't encourage them to stick around either.
    15x30 Above ground Aluminum frame, 13,000 gal Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Super flo VS, Crystal Flo II 19" sand filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 4x20 Fafco solar panel
    TF-100 test kit, Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel

7. Back To Top    #7

Since I originally posted, a couple of them have managed to find their way into the chipmunk afterlife via the pool.

Maybe they couldn't live with the idea that I will be closing the pool soon, or maybe they had a falling out with the local chipmunk gang.

In any case - maybe it will work as a form of population control. If not, does anyone have a recommendation for how to ward them off / eliminate them?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I accidentally found out that large mouse traps baited with tomatoes from the garden is effective at eliminating chipmunks.
    15x30 Above ground Aluminum frame, 13,000 gal Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Super flo VS, Crystal Flo II 19" sand filter
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 4x20 Fafco solar panel
    TF-100 test kit, Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel