Installation tomorrow

Aug 8, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I posted this question in a thread of mine from last week, but decided to post here. Originally my electrician was coming out before the installation of our pool. But the installer told me to have him come out after the installation so the electrician will then know where the pump sits, etc. Pool is being installed tomorrow. Doesn't the electrician need to come ASAP after that so that water isn't sitting in the pool stagnant?

thanks!

Hopefully you already have your TF100 in hand or on the way and a pool brush as well. Use the Pool Math calculator to determine how much bleach and CYA your pool requires. If you are filling from a well, read up on metal treatment. Not a bad move to read up on it with municipal water either. Being a former Charlottean, usually the municipal water is okay and well water usually will have some iron, likely some calcium as well. Once the pool is 2/3 full you can tell if iron is going to be a problem and react accordingly. If no iron issues, add the cya and bleach and brush away. Your pool will be fine as long as you maintain the chemistry and brush a few times a day until the pump is running.

Hopefully you already have your TF100 in hand or on the way and a pool brush as well. Use the Pool Math calculator to determine how much bleach and CYA your pool requires. If you are filling from a well, read up on metal treatment. Not a bad move to read up on it with municipal water either. Being a former Charlottean, usually the municipal water is okay and well water usually will have some iron, likely some calcium as well. Once the pool is 2/3 full you can tell if iron is going to be a problem and react accordingly. If no iron issues, add the cya and bleach and brush away. Your pool will be fine as long as you maintain the chemistry and brush a few times a day until the pump is running.

I'm such a newbie that I don't even know what CYA and TF100 are. :( The pool
comes with a maintenance kit, which I thought was the chemicals, but now I don't. I can def go get those items tomorrow. The guy at the pool supply store said to bring the water in for testing before adding chemicals.

The pool store guy is wrong. Trust me on this. Go to the top of this page. Read "Pool School" three or four times. Also the "Getting Started" section. Then go to "Pool Chemistry" and read "test kits compared". Taylor or TF, your choice, but the TF100 XL with speed stir is the best option. It WILL seem daunting at first, but it really isn't. Just read carefully and get your kit. A Taylor K100 from a hardware store will get you started with chlorine and ph until the real kit gets there and will continue to be useful afterward ( I test my pool every morning with the K100 and use my TF100 once a week, but my pool is stable.) Chlorinating Liquid is available at decent hardware stores or a big box store as well as Wally World (where in Charlotte do you live?) Muriatic acid is also available there. DO NOT start putting $tuff into your pool because a pool store guy tells you to. Until you do a real test with a real test kit YOURSELF you do not know what your water is like. You can get all the information you need here and without spending a ton of cash.

The pool store guy is wrong. Trust me on this. Go to the top of this page. Read "Pool School" three or four times. Also the "Getting Started" section. Then go to "Pool Chemistry" and read "test kits compared". Taylor or TF, your choice, but the TF100 XL with speed stir is the best option. It WILL seem daunting at first, but it really isn't. Just read carefully and get your kit. A Taylor K100 from a hardware store will get you started with chlorine and ph until the real kit gets there and will continue to be useful afterward ( I test my pool every morning with the K100 and use my TF100 once a week, but my pool is stable.) Chlorinating Liquid is available at decent hardware stores or a big box store as well as Wally World (where in Charlotte do you live?) Muriatic acid is also available there. DO NOT start putting $tuff into your pool because a pool store guy tells you to. Until you do a real test with a real test kit YOURSELF you do not know what your water is like. You can get all the information you need here and without spending a ton of cash.

Thank you very much! I will read and re-read all the info you told me to and pick up the items you suggested.
We are right outside of Charlotte actually, in the Midland area.

Union County or Cabarrus? Either way water will have iron and magnesium (I lived in Monroe for 28 years, still own property there.) If you are on a community well, it is unlikely to be softened. County water will be better...sort of. Pouring and brushing will keep you clean.

Stanley County? Midland or Stanfield water? You might be okay with the water then. LUCKY YOU! But still stay away from pool stores. Once you have a handle on it you can go by there to watch other people spend money needlessly. Careful though, too much gloating will make the pool store people nervous!

Stanley County? Midland or Stanfield water? You might be okay with the water then. LUCKY YOU! But still stay away from pool stores. Once you have a handle on it you can go by there to watch other people spend money needlessly. Careful though, too much gloating will make the pool store people nervous!

Locust! :) Hubby already went to the pool store. Lol. One thing they told him is that bromine is only for indoor pools. Is this correct? He didn't spend too much, but I still feel like we aren't doing things right.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and they gave him tests strips
for testing the water. Not a kit. Is this sufficient?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.