Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installation tomorrow

1. Back To Top    #1

Installation tomorrow

I posted this question in a thread of mine from last week, but decided to post here. Originally my electrician was coming out before the installation of our pool. But the installer told me to have him come out after the installation so the electrician will then know where the pump sits, etc. Pool is being installed tomorrow. Doesn't the electrician need to come ASAP after that so that water isn't sitting in the pool stagnant?

thanks!
    - New (getting installed soon) Heritage 18' Round Above Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installation tomorrow

Hopefully you already have your TF100 in hand or on the way and a pool brush as well. Use the Pool Math calculator to determine how much bleach and CYA your pool requires. If you are filling from a well, read up on metal treatment. Not a bad move to read up on it with municipal water either. Being a former Charlottean, usually the municipal water is okay and well water usually will have some iron, likely some calcium as well. Once the pool is 2/3 full you can tell if iron is going to be a problem and react accordingly. If no iron issues, add the cya and bleach and brush away. Your pool will be fine as long as you maintain the chemistry and brush a few times a day until the pump is running.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Vickery View Post
    Hopefully you already have your TF100 in hand or on the way and a pool brush as well. Use the Pool Math calculator to determine how much bleach and CYA your pool requires. If you are filling from a well, read up on metal treatment. Not a bad move to read up on it with municipal water either. Being a former Charlottean, usually the municipal water is okay and well water usually will have some iron, likely some calcium as well. Once the pool is 2/3 full you can tell if iron is going to be a problem and react accordingly. If no iron issues, add the cya and bleach and brush away. Your pool will be fine as long as you maintain the chemistry and brush a few times a day until the pump is running.
    I'm such a newbie that I don't even know what CYA and TF100 are. The pool
    comes with a maintenance kit, which I thought was the chemicals, but now I don't. I can def go get those items tomorrow. The guy at the pool supply store said to bring the water in for testing before adding chemicals.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool store guy is wrong. Trust me on this. Go to the top of this page. Read "Pool School" three or four times. Also the "Getting Started" section. Then go to "Pool Chemistry" and read "test kits compared". Taylor or TF, your choice, but the TF100 XL with speed stir is the best option. It WILL seem daunting at first, but it really isn't. Just read carefully and get your kit. A Taylor K100 from a hardware store will get you started with chlorine and ph until the real kit gets there and will continue to be useful afterward ( I test my pool every morning with the K100 and use my TF100 once a week, but my pool is stable.) Chlorinating Liquid is available at decent hardware stores or a big box store as well as Wally World (where in Charlotte do you live?) Muriatic acid is also available there. DO NOT start putting $tuff into your pool because a pool store guy tells you to. Until you do a real test with a real test kit YOURSELF you do not know what your water is like. You can get all the information you need here and without spending a ton of cash.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool store guy is wrong. Trust me on this. Go to the top of this page. Read "Pool School" three or four times. Also the "Getting Started" section. Then go to "Pool Chemistry" and read "test kits compared". Taylor or TF, your choice, but the TF100 XL with speed stir is the best option. It WILL seem daunting at first, but it really isn't. Just read carefully and get your kit. A Taylor K100 from a hardware store will get you started with chlorine and ph until the real kit gets there and will continue to be useful afterward ( I test my pool every morning with the K100 and use my TF100 once a week, but my pool is stable.) Chlorinating Liquid is available at decent hardware stores or a big box store as well as Wally World (where in Charlotte do you live?) Muriatic acid is also available there. DO NOT start putting $tuff into your pool because a pool store guy tells you to. Until you do a real test with a real test kit YOURSELF you do not know what your water is like. You can get all the information you need here and without spending a ton of cash.
    Thank you very much! I will read and re-read all the info you told me to and pick up the items you suggested.
    We are right outside of Charlotte actually, in the Midland area.

6. Back To Top    #6

Union County or Cabarrus? Either way water will have iron and magnesium (I lived in Monroe for 28 years, still own property there.) If you are on a community well, it is unlikely to be softened. County water will be better...sort of. Pouring and brushing will keep you clean.

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually Stanly County right at the border. On city/town water, not well.

8. Back To Top    #8

I had my electrician come out first, despite what my PB told me. I wanted the pad where I wanted it, not where PB wanted it.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Stanley County? Midland or Stanfield water? You might be okay with the water then. LUCKY YOU! But still stay away from pool stores. Once you have a handle on it you can go by there to watch other people spend money needlessly. Careful though, too much gloating will make the pool store people nervous!

10. Back To Top    #10

Stanley County? Midland or Stanfield water? You might be okay with the water then. LUCKY YOU! But still stay away from pool stores. Once you have a handle on it you can go by there to watch other people spend money needlessly. Careful though, too much gloating will make the pool store people nervous!
    Locust! Hubby already went to the pool store. Lol. One thing they told him is that bromine is only for indoor pools. Is this correct? He didn't spend too much, but I still feel like we aren't doing things right.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and they gave him tests strips
    for testing the water. Not a kit. Is this sufficient?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

This is where to look if you want your pool to sparkle! TFTestkits.net It may seem expensive compared to strips, but the money you will save on chemicals will pay for it in less than a month if you follow the TFP way. Start here: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

P.S. We love pictures! Don't forget to add the details of your equipment to your signature.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I tired to add a pic via my phone bit couldn't find where to do it. Help? Lol.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

It works best by using a host service, such as Photobucket. You upload the photo, click on it, the copy the IMG code and past it into the thread.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Gotcha! Thanks!