Thoughts On Owner-Build Pool and Help Finding Contractors in Phoenix, AZ

Aug 11, 2016
Peoria/AZ
My husband and I have recently received a few bids from some large pool companies in AZ and have major sticker shock. So we began researching owner-build and it seems as though the consensus is that it saves a lot of money. I feel very comfortable getting plans drawn up and permits with the city...but super anxious about finding contractors that are quality and do good work. Anyone in the Phoenix area done this before and have contractors they would recommend? In fact, anyone with any thoughts or suggestions...I would love to hear from you. I am a stay-at-home mom with kids in school full-time so I do have time to assist and be home throughout this process...just not sure where to begin. Thank you so very much for any help you can provide! :)

First contact the call before you dig number in you're area and have the area marked for utilities. Determine if you are on septic or sewer as relocating field lines is an additional headache.

Im assuming this DIY pool build is a vinyl lined IG otherwise you might as well get a contractor to build it.

I assume you are thinking shotcrete/gunite, like most pools in AZ, and I think you can absolutely do an Owner Build. There are lots of recent owner-builds in the Phoenix area on this site and others who you can find via google. Send them a message or wait for them to comment, and I bet someone will share their list of subs with you. Start with a highly recommended sub and ask them who they recommend for other phases of the build. Also check the AZ Registrar of Contractor's site to make sure they are licensed, assuming that is important to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.