Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame liner pockets

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Ultra Frame liner pockets

For those of you with the ultra frames what do you do about the water that collects in the liner opening right under the frame section for the legs? Ive been battling an algae issue and now I know why. I never thought to check there but almost every single pocket where there is a leg there is standing green water. Should I take a small needle and put a could drain holes after I get them cleaned up? What other options are there to keep water from collecting there?
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Ultra Frame liner pockets

I do have that problem but I don't consider it to be a major concern. Every once in a while I just run my finger down in there to get rid of as much of it as possible. I have toyed with the idea of closing up that gap with aluminum duct tape, the really sticky kind. It would look ratty but might keep water out of that crack and into my pool. Then again, if I get a flood of rain midseason, the water will have nowhere to go!
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

3. Back To Top    #3

We never did anything about it, never had a problem.

Of course, we were pool storing it at the time, so our water wasn't all that great to begin with and some algae wouldn't stand out all that much.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup found my hidden algae pockets. Under the ladder where the kids splash the most the liner pockets were full of nasty green swamp water. So took a turkey bastor and some chlorine and gave each one a squirt and tomorrow I will rig something up to clean them out. Maybe now I can stop fighting the green cloud every other week
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

5. Back To Top    #5

I have water in there also, never thought of an algae issue, why cant we vinyl glue across the bottom of the seam for strength, then remove/cut a small slit for drainage? Or glue across the top with the vinyl glue.
    Brian -- Jacksonville, FL - 16' above ground pool 16' x 48" - 5000 gallons - Vinyl liner (sitting on 2 tarps and a gorilla pad to prevent / slow St. Augustine grass from growing through) - Intex 2500 GPH pump "B" filter upgrade (allows for excellent suction when utilizing my custom vacuum system) - K-2006 test kit will arrive shortly.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I found the lowest spot and punched a hole in it with a paper hole punch on the outside. Now all of the water drains out and it stays perfectly dry. I hid it behind one of the legs, and to be honest I had forgotten about it until I read your post.

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

7. Back To Top    #7

I am taking a chamois and cutting it in narrow strips to pass through the openings to absorb the water and keep clean. Seems like Jeffchap has the easiest solution to the problem. No more cleaning! But I have an ongoing situation with crepe myrtle flowers that get stuck in mine, so I have to try to wipe them out.
    18x52 Ultra Frame with 1600 gph sand filter and intex skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Mine have some stuff in them, too. As long as I don't let the kids do their "wave pool" with the inner tubes, it usually isn't cause for concern. I am considering cleaning them ot at the end of the season, right before I try to cover it for the winter. Chances are, though, it will be chilly ut when the water hits 60 degrees and I won't feel like it, ha ha.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Mine have some stuff in them, too. As long as I don't let the kids do their "wave pool" with the inner tubes, it usually isn't cause for concern. I am considering cleaning them ot at the end of the season, right before I try to cover it for the winter. Chances are, though, it will be chilly ut when the water hits 60 degrees and I won't feel like it, ha ha.
    Well between my kids their friends and the neighbor kids there is a lot of splashing. Hopefully this will end my fight against the green monster.
    My Slam

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

We had a very dry summer, so I couldn't top off the water the past month and a half. I noticed yesterday there were spider webs in mine, lol. Thankfully, we've gotten some rain the past week and the pool filled itself back up. I'm ready for a few sunny days, actually.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I punched holes in mine as well, works great!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ot-pocket-quot
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I also put some tiny holes in there so the water drains. It works well. I do get flowers and tiny leaves in there and every now and then I take my shop vac out to the pool and suck up the leaves and stuff.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

13. Back To Top    #13

Well took some chlorine and flushed those pockets with it. Killed anything and everything in there. Also since then Ive bumped up the FC to slam level for a couple days and now the water is crystal clear. Now I just gotta remember to get a hole punch and start making drain holes.
    My Slam