Pump breaking basket lid at shut off

Zuke42

Aug 15, 2016
Aplharetta, GA
I am having a problem with my Water Ace pump, where it is breaking the clear basket lid connected to the pump, (not the skimmer basket) It has broken 2 of them in a week, and i mean a large 6 in crack from the threads across the top of the lid, and i don't want to spend another 50$ on a new one until i know what the reason the 1st 2 broke. I have never seen this before.

I feared the blow out was due to air pressure build up in the filter but bleeding that out didn't help. The pump is about 4 years old, The filter is a new Pentair System 3 installed last year in the spring. Cleaned out the filter, put in new DE media, runs without issue.

The pool is in-ground 16x32, just under 25k gallons. Not sure what to do next. Thanks for any help.

Scott Zuke

Hello Scott and welcome to TFP! :wave: You have a unique situation for sure. You mentioned bleeding didn't help. Can you confirm what you typical filter PSI reading is? Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. Or you can click EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Don’t forget to include your test kit in the signature. :)

We'll put our heads together at TFP and see if someone can help give you a suggestion or two. Nice to have you with us.

Sounds like you are experiencing "water hammer" and that is damaging your lid.

I had this after a pool repair guy replaced some radiator hose "junctions" with pvc.

It had suction side leaks though and couldn't hold prime for more than 30 minutes after being turned off.

The first time I turned off the pump, it blew the skimmer lid about 10 feet in the air.

Never called him for service again after he corrected the leaks.

the pressure is between 15-20 PSI, and when the pump is shut off the skimmer lid doesn't budge. I had that problem before i replaced the filter last year. I bled out the air prior to shut off regardless.

This is the lid on the pump motor and not the skimmer basket.

I know...but the skimmer basket blowing off is a result of the water hammer which is likely to be busting the pump lid.

but it sounds like it might be something else in any case.

Is it possible you are over tightening the pump lid fittings?

The skimmer basket doesn't move at all, never blows off, and i did try tightening the lid as much and it just let in a bit of air. i bled it off and my repaired lid still pops off. the new one should be here today or tomorrow.

Still at a loss

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.