Please Help!! Green Cloudy Pool

Aug 15, 2016
Concord, NC
We need help! We have been fighting our pool & spending way too much money at the pool store. We have been able to swim a couple of weeks & the water was crystal clear & balanced. Last Thursday the pool started turning green. We added 4 bags of shock but it didn't change. The pool store did a chlorine demand test & said we had a problem. We added 7 bags of shock which they said broke the chlorine demand. These were the numbers then (Sat 8/13) CYA-25, TC-0, FC-0, PH-7.7, TA-118, Hardness 317. They told us to add 2lbs of PH Down, 2lbs of Stabilizer & 5 bags of shock. We added all of that late Sat & Sat evening. Still no change. The numbers today are CYA-47, TC-2, FC-2, PH-7.6, TA-115, Hardness 308. They did a phosphate test today & says it is 500. I think I set the signature correctly but just in case...pool is 24' round above ground pool, 14,000 gallons, vinyl liner & sand filter. We changed the sand in the filter at the beginning of the summer. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. We have to stop breaking the bank :(

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You are in the same position many of us were at one time. Your first step? .... obtain the proper test kit and stop relying on the pool store. They are in business because of what they sell, not the great advise. We recommend either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Please see the TF-100 link below in my sig. That's where you need to start. With readings from that test kit, you can be assured of accurate results and what the pool needs to get better.

Also review the Pool School and other vital link below in my sig. Until you get your own test kit, consider adding about 1 gallon of regular bleach (NO scents or splashless) to the water each evening. Nothing else. Definitely no more pool store products.

Nice to have you with us!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.