Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing in the rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwashing in the rain

We're getting some significant rain and I'm looking at having to drain some water out of the pool this evening. I haven't backwashed in a while and the pressure isn't super high but it's high enough that I figure I might as well take this opportunity to backwash rather than just wasting the water. I'll probably be doing it in the rain. However.. adding DE to the skimmer is going to be a bit awkward in the rain, while holding an umbrella in one hand. Is it dangerous to run the filter after backwashing without adding DE right away? Or should I make sure it stays off until I can add DE? I usually let it run overnight.
    Pool Stats: 15k gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair WhisperFlo pump, Pentair Legend Platinum pressure cleaner w/ Polaris PB4-60 booster pump. Test Kit: Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwashing in the rain

You do not want to run your pump very long without DE in the filter, so you need to add DE pretty quickly.

I think your problem is how you are adding your DE.. My guess is that you are adding dry DE to your skimmer.

Try this in a covered area... Take an empty five gallon bucket and put the amount of DE you want in your filter in the bucket. Add water until it is almost at the top of the bucket. (You'll be amazed at how much water you can still put in a bucket, even if it almost full of DE.) Mix the DE and water into a slurry, and then slowly pour it into the skimmer with the pump running.

Doing it this way works best for me and it does not matter if it is raining or not.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought a stainless steel paint mixing paddle and attached it to my drill. MUCH easier to mix the DE and water into a slurry.

23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately I don't have a big bucket, but I ended up not needing it. There was a break in the rain and I managed to get everything done without issue. Something to keep in mind for the future, though!
    Pool Stats: 15k gal IG plaster, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair WhisperFlo pump, Pentair Legend Platinum pressure cleaner w/ Polaris PB4-60 booster pump. Test Kit: Taylor K-2006