Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PebbleTec and pool brushes

1. Back To Top    #1

PebbleTec and pool brushes

I have had my PebbleTec pool for about nine years. There has been a consistent problem in that if I let the FC go below 5, I start to get growth in the pool. According to various tables on this site and also other places on the web this should not be so. Anyway last week I started to get green algae growth on the pool walls. I used my normal plastic bristle Wall-Whale brush to brush them down. However I noticed that after brushing the green areas, they were still green!

I have a small wire brush which I then used on those spots. The wire brush did remove the algae. It appears that the growth in the cracks of the PebbleTec finish will not be removed with a standard plastic bristle brush. I when down to my local pool store and purchased an 18" wire bristle brush which I then mounted the Wall-Whale parts to. This eliminated all of the issues. Also of note at least for two brushings after removal of all visible algae, white dust could be seen rising from the back of the wire brush.

It looks like growth can and will settle into the cracks and crevices of the PebbleTec finish. So if you have a PebbleTec or similar finish I would recommend going to a wire brush.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PebbleTec and pool brushes

What is your CYA level, and how did you test for it?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TF-100 and usually between 60 and 80
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

well, that's the difference between a target of 4 and a target of 6. You should always round up with the CYA reading for this reason. If you keep getting algae at 5, because of poor circulation or whatever, just keep your minimum at 6.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir