Subpanel/Electrical Questions

wmmallette

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2016
New Albany, Mississippi
I have two electrical services to my home. The main house has a 200 amp service panel. The garage, which has an apartment over it, has a 100 amp service panel. I am running my pool subpanel off of the 100 amp panel. We do not intend to use the apartment as is. It will be a master suite for us so the kitchen and appliances will be removed and the water heater will be gas instead of electric. Therefore, I was able to free up space in that panel by removing four 30 amp and one 50 amp double pole breakers that ran to things like stand alone 220V appliances (stove/oven, electric water heater, refrigerator, window unit air conditioners, etc.).

My pool pad is about 150 feet from the panel. I am looking for advice on what size subpanel I may need and what size wire to run from the main panel to the sub panel.

My pool will have:
-Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP variable speed pump which i will run on 220V,
-Circupool 60K gallon salt chlorine generator,
-2 Pentair 5G LED (500 watt equivalent rated at 55 watts) lights

My other electrical needs near the pool will be:
~12,000 BTU air conditioner for a 350 square foot shed by the pool,
-outlet for a robotic pool cleaner,
-outlet for a refrigerator,
-4 or 5 other general outlets for things like tv, lamps and other basic plug in devices (no appliances),
-some outdoor lighting & a couple of ceiling fans around the decking area near the pool (all led lights).

Any electricians or others with knowledge in this area are appreciated!
Here are the labels off my pump and chloring generator:

pump.jpg

rj60.jpg

My plan is to run 6-3 (with a ground) copper, direct bury wire from my house to the location where I want to place my subpanel. Its about 125 feet of in ground distance, then accounting for running up the wall and into the main panel. I would bury 24 inches deep and run to a 60 amp subpanel. I would run the pump on a 20 amp, double-pole, gfci breaker and have the other spaces on the panel for (1) pool lights, (2) outdoor lighting, (3) electrical outlets in the pool shed and (4) an air conditioner.

Does this sound suffiencent?

So technically you could get away with 8-3 but I would stick with 6-3.

I strongly advise not using direct burial cable but to use nm conduit. I don't like direct burial cable in residential back yards. While accepted by many inspectors serving the panel from the panel to all pool equipment conduit or a liquid tight whip is required.

60 amp panel is fine. Your AC is probably the big load. Don't exceed 6 throws in the panel and make sure the panel is within sight of the pool equipment -- it then counts as your disconnect.

I strongly advise not using direct burial cable but to use nm conduit. I don't like direct burial cable in residential back yards. While accepted by many inspectors serving the panel from the panel to all pool equipment conduit or a liquid tight whip is required.

Gwegan, thank you for your input. if I use conduit, i assume I dont have to use direct burial cable in the conduit. Correct?

To help my load with the A/C I can do my best to choose something with as low of an amp load as possible. My shed is a single open 364 square foot room (26'x14') and partially in shade the latter part of the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.