Plants and irrigation ideas

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
What tropical type plants work best around the pool? I have a 21" planter bed that is next to a wall, it varies from 5'-4'-4 1/2' wide. I am thinking of a pygmy date palm, bird of paradise, perhaps some ginger plants? Open to ideas? Also, should I use a drip line or bubbler?

thanks!

I have found that the best choice for landscaping are plants that are native to your area (talk to a local plant nursery). I have a few non-native plants around my pool and, honestly speaking, they cause me to have to irrigate much more than I would like. I've even talked with the wife about ripping it all out and going with a xeriscaped pool area, i.e. drought tolerant plants that need no irrigation except for what mother-nature provides (accept for my orange tree which I love). Drip or bubblers will work fine (I used drip to concentrate the water where I want it and keep it well rocked to reduce evaporative loss) just be sure to get a solid irrigation controller, preferably one you can control via WiFi. Rachio is a widely used brand but there are many other brands on the market. Finally, proper irrigation system design is key. You want a well designed and installed irrigation system that uses high quality water lines and components. I have a few areas of my front yard that were done by the previous owner "on the cheap" and I am forever having to dig up 1/2" feeder lines to repair leaks (one such leak went unnoticed until I got the water bill that month and had to pay over $100 extra in water usage). The more well-designed and robust the feeder system is, the less maintenance you'll have to do.

If this is not close to a walking path I might suggest sugarcane, it should be ideal for your climate, grows fast, and you can get all sorts of interesting colors, particularly in the heirloom varieties. Starter plants can be bought on ebay from $5 to $40 each depending on type. (starter cuttings can be even less, typically $15-$25 for 5-7 ready to plant cuttings). The downside to sugarcane is the sharp edged leaves, some varieties are worse than others. A benefit would be a never ending supply of sugarcane swizzle sticks, skewers and chewing cane, and juice if you get a good press.

Ike

p.s. careful selection of the right type for your space is important, some varieties grow 1-2 inches in diameter and 5-6 ft tall, others get up to 4-5 inches in diameter and can reach heights of 15-20 feet., some grow straight others are prone to cork screw.

We have beds on both sides of our waterfall. We went with Rock instead of mulch to keep it out of the pool. We went with Pygmy dates, asparagus ferns and some sort of cactusy thing that grows a pretty pick flower out the top. (Cactusy is the technical term for it)

Attachments

• pool-redbed3.jpg
    pool-redbed3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 134
Here is what i have foe the planter, i still need to put plants in the ground. The plumaria will stay in a pot, the bird of paradise will go in the ground as will a date palm.

F4E39BF9-86A3-4573-B6D3-491A9A8FC780_zpstyhnda4b.jpg

307FEC31-B5CF-4FA8-B61D-4AEA3013EB9D_zpsywmkpcfg.jpg

I'm a big fan of drip. You can put as much or as little water as you want exactly where you want it. The box store will have starter kits, but somewhere like Dripdepot will probably wind up being better for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.