Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plants and irrigation ideas

1. Back To Top    #1

Plants and irrigation ideas

What tropical type plants work best around the pool? I have a 21" planter bed that is next to a wall, it varies from 5'-4'-4 1/2' wide. I am thinking of a pygmy date palm, bird of paradise, perhaps some ginger plants? Open to ideas? Also, should I use a drip line or bubbler?

thanks!
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plants and irrigation ideas

I have found that the best choice for landscaping are plants that are native to your area (talk to a local plant nursery). I have a few non-native plants around my pool and, honestly speaking, they cause me to have to irrigate much more than I would like. I've even talked with the wife about ripping it all out and going with a xeriscaped pool area, i.e. drought tolerant plants that need no irrigation except for what mother-nature provides (accept for my orange tree which I love). Drip or bubblers will work fine (I used drip to concentrate the water where I want it and keep it well rocked to reduce evaporative loss) just be sure to get a solid irrigation controller, preferably one you can control via WiFi. Rachio is a widely used brand but there are many other brands on the market. Finally, proper irrigation system design is key. You want a well designed and installed irrigation system that uses high quality water lines and components. I have a few areas of my front yard that were done by the previous owner "on the cheap" and I am forever having to dig up 1/2" feeder lines to repair leaks (one such leak went unnoticed until I got the water bill that month and had to pay over $100 extra in water usage). The more well-designed and robust the feeder system is, the less maintenance you'll have to do.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

If this is not close to a walking path I might suggest sugarcane, it should be ideal for your climate, grows fast, and you can get all sorts of interesting colors, particularly in the heirloom varieties. Starter plants can be bought on ebay from $5 to $40 each depending on type. (starter cuttings can be even less, typically $15-$25 for 5-7 ready to plant cuttings). The downside to sugarcane is the sharp edged leaves, some varieties are worse than others. A benefit would be a never ending supply of sugarcane swizzle sticks, skewers and chewing cane, and juice if you get a good press.

Ike

p.s. careful selection of the right type for your space is important, some varieties grow 1-2 inches in diameter and 5-6 ft tall, others get up to 4-5 inches in diameter and can reach heights of 15-20 feet., some grow straight others are prone to cork screw.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

We have beds on both sides of our waterfall. We went with Rock instead of mulch to keep it out of the pool. We went with Pygmy dates, asparagus ferns and some sort of cactusy thing that grows a pretty pick flower out the top. (Cactusy is the technical term for it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Friendswood TX, 23x39 free form , 20K gallons , 3 HP VS pentair , 1 HP whiisperflo, Pentair easy touch , 400k BTU pentaier heater, Deck Jets, Pentair 5g LED Lights. Tanning ledge with bubblers. Taylor 2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is what i have foe the planter, i still need to put plants in the ground. The plumaria will stay in a pot, the bird of paradise will go in the ground as will a date palm.

33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm a big fan of drip. You can put as much or as little water as you want exactly where you want it. The box store will have starter kits, but somewhere like Dripdepot will probably wind up being better for you.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I will post some photos, of the planters. I am thinking that 1 valve will be adequate for both sides of the backyard with a drip line.