How long does it take and where does the P go?

Lykly

Gold Supporter
Nov 6, 2015
Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
This is probably been discussed prior but I can't find it. I know that the chlorine neutralizes or somehow reacts and eliminates waste in the pool. I had a group of kids of all ages over yesterday, and I up the sanitizer prior to the swim fun to help, but I was just curious what is the process for removing substances left behind by the young ones? I did have a meeting prior with the kids explaining to them to exit the pool, but you know how that goes. [emoji15] anyway this is more of a learning topic for me than a concern because I know it is sanitized. I had the chlorine pumped to 7.5 to 8 prior to the swim it it was still at 7 at days end, and the pool remains very clear, so I think they did a pretty good job. CYA at 65. Curious about the whole chemical reaction and timing thing.
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't go anywhere.

The chlorine will burn up any organic materials and turn into CC, but the pint of P is there forever, heck its 99.99% water anyhow.

Every person-hour of bather waste requires ~ 4 grams of chlorine gas equivalent to neutralize.

1 cup of urine is the equivalent of 6 person-hours worth of bather waste.

Thanks for the laugh, I love it! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HAHA.... I have a heavily wooded lot, little over 1 acre, and I noticed when I told the boys they could just go around the trees and do their thing, they seemed to take advantage as well. Probably saved me at least 1 ppm!

HAHA.... I have a heavily wooded lot, little over 1 acre, and I noticed when I told the boys they could just go around the trees and do their thing, they seemed to take advantage as well. Probably saved me at least 1 ppm!

I see no problem with a little extra fertilization of the woodlands ;)

JoyfulNoise said:
Every person-hour of bather waste requires ~ 4 grams of chlorine gas equivalent to neutralize.

Oxidization of urea

4 grams Cl2 = 1.1 oz 12.5 % bleach.

James, thank you for the reply. Does it mean that seven people in the pool for one hour will require about a cup of 12.5% chlorine, no matter what the size of the pool is?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.