Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie question regarding LED lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie question regarding LED lights

Hello all,
    New user here from Jacksonville, FL. I've been reading the forum for a while now but this is my first post. First, thanks to everyone for all the fantastic info, it's been tremendously helpful so far. We're just getting the process started on our first in ground pool and have a question about the number of LED lights that will be appropriate for our specific pool design. I've ready through most of the posts on this subject and it seems to be highly dependent on not just the size of the pool but also the shape, particularly as it relates to freeform designs. With that in mind I'm hoping to get some good advice from all the veterans on here. Like many posts i've read, my PB is only recommending a single LED light (Pentair Intellibrite 5G). I'm attaching a diagram of our specific design showing the size and shape and would love to get opinions on the light count and positioning based on other's experiences with these lights. I can't seem to find specific beam angle or distance info for the Intellibrites anywhere, just the basic "narrow" and "wide" adjustment provided in the Pentair documentation. The interior finish will be a medium blue pebble (Sunstone Pearl-Blue Pearl). Any and all thoughts are welcomed! Thanks.

Pool diagram_15Aug_zpsbi7ncl1i.jpg Photo by ddjax | Photobucket

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie question regarding LED lights

I'm no expert, but after looking at many of the pool builds here, it seems like it's better to err on the "more" than the "less" side. Also general rules seem to be to not have the light point at the residence, or in your "swim lane". My bet is the PB wants to put the one in the deep end, right about where the 30' dimension line arrow on your drawing points to the upper left.

If it were me, I'd do either 3 or 4 LED's, on the house side, perpendicular to the 30' dimension line. If I were going with 3, probably about where the cross section dimension line arrors point to. And 4, somewhat equidistant. But I also want to be able to use the pool as a night time feature, since it will be most of my small backyard, and I want to make sure I have enough light to do so. There may be other opinions, but it's a lot easier to not use than to put them in later.

3. Back To Top    #3

2 LED's should work, they are really bright!

3 might be better, all pointing away from your seating position.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I have 1 in my pool at the end and it is about the same size but more rectangular. I wish I had 2 but 1 is ok. It is not really what I wanted but we there were other factors...
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

My pool is 32' long with one LED light at the end. It is ok, but we wish we had a second light at the other end. We have white plaster, which is supposed to help, so your light needs may be greater with blue pebbletec.

For location, the advice is usually point lights away from your seating locations and away from your house, and don't put them at the ends of the pool because it will be irritating if you swim laps at night. But I haven't found our LED lights to have much glare when sitting outside, and I don't expect to swim many laps at night.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It's always better to have too many then spend the money for too few and be unhappy with the performance. If you do go with two, three or four you don't need to run them all at the same time. You have the option to light the pool from different angles creating different effects.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have 4 and it's awesome! Looks spectacular. I started with 1 in my pool build plans. Better to overdo than underdo in lights!

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool builder suggested one and I regret not asking for more. I would at least go 2 if money is tight.
    18k gallon, 20x32, salt IC20, gunite with quartz finish, raised spa with overflow, flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump, Pentair Racer, Pentair pool pump, cartridge filter, heater, etc., acid dispenser.
    TF-100 kit for sparkling clean water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks all! Definitely will add at least one more based on the feedback here. It's only another $500, right! LOL. I have a feeling that won't be the last time I say that.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ddjax View Post
    Thanks all! Definitely will add at least one more based on the feedback here. It's only another $500, right! LOL. I have a feeling that won't be the last time I say that.
    Agreed
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

We had one halogen color wheel originally which was really nice and bright. Replaced with a LED and not so bright but alright. I would error on more than less.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PoolingAround View Post
    My pool builder suggested one and I regret not asking for more. I would at least go 2 if money is tight.
    It's just that if one isn't enough you'll always regret it and to cure it you have a really big project draining, digging and cutting to get a second one in.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool is 41' long and I have two LED's in the pool, one on each end, kind of to the side so they aren't in your eyes looking at pool from house. There's also an additional LED in the spa. If I had a do over, I'd have 3 in the pool. I think you'd be unhappy with just 1.
    Construction began 5/2016. IGF pool. 41' x 21'. Jandy DEV60, Jandy 2hp 2sp pump, Polaris 280 Black Max, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, Jandy JXI 400, Jandy iAqualink, Jandy LED's. 2'x2'x10' rock weeping wall. Dive rock. Tile/Plaster: NPT Silverstone AquaMarine Decking: Stained Stamped Concrete/Stonescapes Aqua Blue with glass beads and abalone. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Fort-Worth-TX

14. Back To Top    #14

My pool is 31' long. I have an LED light at either end. This is just about perfect. One would have been too few, and I don't think that more would have made that much of a difference. I also have a separate, smaller LED light in the spa. This, too, is just about perfect.

I have rather dark pebble/plaster, so I chose to go with white LED (and not the color-changing ones) based on the advice of a friend who has a pool with very similar plaster color. This, too, was a good choice since the darker plasters can make the non-white LED colors look a bit funky.

Whatever you decide, be sure to keep the lights from shining directly at your house/patio...you'll prefer them to shine at an oblique angle or even directly away from where you look at the pool.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

I'll be using the Intellibrite controller rather than a full automation system. Can I turn each light on and off independently with that controller or do they have to be all on or all off? Looking at the controller it appears to just have a single power button.

16. Back To Top    #16

My pool is 18x38' and 2 lights are perfect. I would want any more or less.
    18 x 38’ gunite, 3’9”-7’ deep, 8 x 12’ tanning ledge with 8” deep water, umbrella sleeve, 2 LED bubblers.
    2 Pentair LED lights, 16’ long fiberglass hill slide and jump rock. Sand dune pavers/coping. TF-100. My build: Georgia Pool Build.... No Longer O/B :))