Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installation of Pentair 34004 - HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleveland, TN

Installation of Pentair 34004 - HELP!

My husband is replacing our pump with the Pentair 34004 and has concerns about the present configuration of the plumbing. According to the info from Pentair, 90 degree angles are to be avoided if possible. I have attached photos of what we have now. Do we need to reconfigure the pipes with less angles? His biggest concern is the three 90 degree angles on the pressure side, but as he investigates more, he is also worried about the suction side. We would also like to know the purpose of the pipe circled in red.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still wet behind the ears pool owner
    34 x 18 27,500 gallon inground Buster Crabbe vinyl, one return, built in 1994
    Haywood Pro-Series S244T Filter
    Utilitech 1HP Themoplastic Pump UT1100IGPP

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

Re: Installation of Pentair 34004 - HELP!

If you were trying to make it "perfect" then the number of 90 degree turns might make a difference. But the actual effect is not much at all when it comes to pool pumps. I'd just plumb it the way it is currently shown.

I have no idea what the extra pipe is. Possibly an unused backwash drain???

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.