Household bleach vs. Chlorine

Eilum

Jun 19, 2016
Jackson NJ
I have been using pool chlorine (10% cal-hypo) and couldn't find anymore in the local Walmart so switched to generic laundry bleach (8.25% cal-hypo).

When I poured it in the pool, it created thick white bubbles all the way to the floor and a few minutes later there were clusters of white bubbles floating on the top of the water. This never happened with the liquid chlorine. Is this normal and safe or should should I stick exclusively to pool liquid chlorine?

Thanks

Check the bottle -- does it say 'Splashless'? That contains surfactants (soap) that you do NOT want to use. Only use plain, generic, 8.25% bleach.

Yup, I think you have used one of the "special" flavors of bleach as the others have pointed out.

You want the generic GreatValu at WalMart. Mine is $2.57 a bottle right now.

You guys are great!! Yes, it says "low-splash formula." So I guess this is lesson-learned. It is sodium hypochlorite, btw.
Yea, the "extras" they add to make it splash less and scented cause foaming. It will go away in a reasonable time. It helps speed it up if you net out any big piles of foam.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So is it safe to use the splash-less bleach? I can live with the foaming until I use the 3-4 bottles I bought, as long as it won't damage the pool.

It could be "safe" but it's not a good idea at all. Think about it this way - the chemical thickener they use to make the bleach "splash-less" is capable of withstanding chlorine oxidation at concentrations 10,000 times higher than what's found in swimming pools. Do you really want to add a chemical like that to your water? What you've added will take a relatively long time to degrade (some people have posted experiencing foaminess for several weeks) so you really don't want to keep adding it.

Return it or use it for the laundry but DO NOT add it to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.