Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Household bleach vs. Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Household bleach vs. Chlorine

I have been using pool chlorine (10% cal-hypo) and couldn't find anymore in the local Walmart so switched to generic laundry bleach (8.25% cal-hypo).

When I poured it in the pool, it created thick white bubbles all the way to the floor and a few minutes later there were clusters of white bubbles floating on the top of the water. This never happened with the liquid chlorine. Is this normal and safe or should should I stick exclusively to pool liquid chlorine?

Thanks
    Vinyl IG 18x43 25,000 gallon
    Hayward Pro s244T 300 lb Sand (with occasional addition of clarifier)
    1.5 HP pump; Polaris 380 with booster pump; Hayward H400 gas heater
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Household bleach vs. Chlorine

Check the bottle -- does it say 'Splashless'? That contains surfactants (soap) that you do NOT want to use. Only use plain, generic, 8.25% bleach.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa
    Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflow 3050VS Pump and Pentair HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You sure you used unscented, regular bleach? Not splashless, etc?

Also, liquid chlorine / bleach is not cal-hypo.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

What exactly was the product you added? You're looking for 8.25% Sodium Hypochlorite. Outdoor Bleach, splashless and scented bleach contain additives you don't want in your pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy cow this forum is active in the morning!
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, I think you have used one of the "special" flavors of bleach as the others have pointed out.

You want the generic GreatValu at WalMart. Mine is $2.57 a bottle right now.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I got a jug of splashless bleach at Walmart last year in a regular bleach jug. Fortunately I noticed when I started pouring.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

You guys are great!! Yes, it says "low-splash formula." So I guess this is lesson-learned. It is sodium hypochlorite, btw.
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Eilum View Post
    You guys are great!! Yes, it says "low-splash formula." So I guess this is lesson-learned. It is sodium hypochlorite, btw.
    Yea, the "extras" they add to make it splash less and scented cause foaming. It will go away in a reasonable time. It helps speed it up if you net out any big piles of foam.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

That's awesome! I always assumed "low splash" was a few cents extra for the handle that channels air back up into the bottle so it doesn't splash when you pour.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

So is it safe to use the splash-less bleach? I can live with the foaming until I use the 3-4 bottles I bought, as long as it won't damage the pool.
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR

11. Back To Top    #11

Someone posted that the splashless bleach states on the bottle "not for sanitizing" or something to that effect. So stick with the regular, unscented.
    TF-100 kit, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer. Still in early stages of pool planning

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Eilum View Post
    So is it safe to use the splash-less bleach? I can live with the foaming until I use the 3-4 bottles I bought, as long as it won't damage the pool.
    It could be "safe" but it's not a good idea at all. Think about it this way - the chemical thickener they use to make the bleach "splash-less" is capable of withstanding chlorine oxidation at concentrations 10,000 times higher than what's found in swimming pools. Do you really want to add a chemical like that to your water? What you've added will take a relatively long time to degrade (some people have posted experiencing foaminess for several weeks) so you really don't want to keep adding it.

Return it or use it for the laundry but DO NOT add it to your pool.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. Thanks.
    TF-100 with SpeedSTIR