PH Bounce

Jul 13, 2016
Westminster, Md
Long time pool guy here, and my pool has become troublesome to maintain PH. (PH keeps rising). Pool is perfectly balanced and has been for years and has never been subject to this. The only change in my situation is that a line of Leyland Cypress by my pool have been dropping tons of dead needles. Can these buggers raise PH? Any botanist/chemists out there?

TA is a bit low 100 and ph I maintain but bounces to 7.8-8 after awhile and I tweak it back down. Muriatic acid. Use Bioguard test kit and Bioguard test strips for quick look. Going to deal with TA and see if that helps. Was 125-150 a few weeks ago.Thanks

I suspect the reason Joel asked about your TA is because you'll find here at TFP that when you reference our Pool School - Recommended Levels chart, your TA could actually be lower for your pool type. Using the full range of TA down to about 70-80 could help prevent the pH from rising so quickly. To do that, just reference the Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.

As for testing, we at TFP always recommend either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Either kit has a fantastic reputation for accuracy and dependability. Personally, I recommend the TF-100, but either will work. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.