Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to adjust return jets?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cypress, Texas

Best way to adjust return jets?

Our small pool has 6 return jets which provide great water circulation. However, the way they are positioned they do break the surface quite a bit and I'd like to adjust them lower so as to not add to the PH rising all the time.
    I tried to turn the return nozzles (or whatever they're called), but I can't get a good enough grip on them to make them turn any. What is the best way to adjust these? a wrench maybe?
    Also, they look like they each have a fixed position, so to turn them lower may change the direction of the water flow, is that normal?

2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Re: Best way to adjust return jets?

You might have something different but the ones I have and have seen screw in. The eyeball in the center is sandwiched between the body that has the threads and screws in and the cover that holds it into the body. They can be tightened up so much the eyeball won't move and into the wall so tight they won't come out without using a wrench.

For some of mine I've used two screwdrivers to engage the slots on the inside of the Socket part (they do make a special tool) and then a slip joint wrench GENTLY on the retainer to get it loose enough to adjust the eyeball. Now I leave them loose in the wall and don't mess with the eyeball, just rotate the whole thing. Might be because mine are really old but the eyeball just kept seizing up and I got tired of loosening the retainer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    S.E. MI

You could try one of those rubber jar openers to see if it makes it any easier to turn them. Also you might want to make sure your pump is off when you turn them I think it does make it easier. Good luck I know how hard they can be mine gets stuck all the time.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

4. Back To Top    #4

Rome, NY

Ours are new and the eyeball doesn't move. We rotate the whole thing. When needed, I take my shorts off and use them to grip
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir.
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- RECEOMMENDED CHEMICALS --- SLAM --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Toronto, ON

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    Ours are new and the eyeball doesn't move. We rotate the whole thing. When needed, I take my shorts off and use them to grip
    Glad you didn't include a picture!
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels