Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: C Ya, CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

C Ya, CYA

I've had high cyanuric acid since I took possession of my house on August 5th. Finally had enough:

https://vimeo.com/178836343
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: C Ya, CYA

Oh yeah! That'll get'er done!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by _Eric_ View Post
    I've had high cyanuric acid since I took possession of my house on August 5th. Finally had enough:

https://vimeo.com/178836343
    How much did you drain? What was your CYA level before? After? Thanks.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah what is high? i was at 90-100 and got myself sdown to 60...some people consider that high since I have to keep my FC at 7.0....but 60 is low for me in NJ :P
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / Brand new (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: Yes (older)
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ionizer View Post
    yeah what is high? i was at 90-100 and got myself sdown to 60...some people consider that high since I have to keep my FC at 7.0....but 60 is low for me in NJ :P
    Originally from Freehold.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I will be doing this soon too! This 100+ level needs to get gone! Stupid question but, I won't ruin anything in my pool if I let out almost half of the water all at one time, right? No certain setting for the pump or anything special that needs to be done other than leave the backwash valve open and let the pump run?
    - ~13,500 gal, IG, pebble, DE filter, tap water fill
    - Rock waterfall feature
    - Hayward "The Pool Cleaner" vacuum
    - Gilbert, AZ. It gets HOT!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    How much did you drain? What was your CYA level before? After? Thanks.
    I drained 7,500 gallons total but did it in two 3,750 drains. My CYA was 120ppm before and is at 80ppm now.

Quote Originally Posted by pcollins22 View Post
    I will be doing this soon too! This 100+ level needs to get gone! Stupid question but, I won't ruin anything in my pool if I let out almost half of the water all at one time, right? No certain setting for the pump or anything special that needs to be done other than leave the backwash valve open and let the pump run?
    I guess it really depends on how high the water table is around your pool. I did mine over two smaller drains because the ground around my pool area is very saturated due to the septic drain field being right next to it (not sure why anyone ever thought was a good place to put it). I assume that's how you do it since you have a backwash valve. You'll also want to close off your skimmer return for when the water level gets below the skimmer.
    25k outdoor in-ground 18'x36' vinyl pool; Jandy TruClear SWCG; Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP WFE-3 pump; Sta-Rite S8M150 System:3 Modular Media 450 sqft filter; Intermatic Freeze Sentry PF1103T
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit