Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter leaking at backwash pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter leaking at backwash pipe

Hey all -
    Things have been going well this yeah. So well, that this is my first post

I back washed my DE filter last weekend for the first time this year. (It didn't need it until then). When I looked at it today, there was water leaking out of the "Backwash pipe". I tuned the valve handle from "lock" to "open" and back a couple times, but it didn't seem to affect the flow.

Anyone have any ideas to what's happening here? Do I need a new valve installed?
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter leaking at backwash pipe

Bart,

A picture of your equipment pad, showing the valve area, would really help us provide the right feedback.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jim. Here you go. Let me know if you need any close ups

(Currently having trouble posting photos from my phone. I'm going to try to do it in a separate post )
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Trying to post photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Round two

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for all the duplicates. This phone and the cellular signal are making it difficult.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Looks like you need a Jandy valve rebuild kit. Replacing the O rings will likely solve your problem. Remember when assembling it to use some silicone plumbers lube or specific silicone pool equipment lube.

Here is some how to video - - > Google
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

What a perfect response...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks folks!!

One more question. I just pulled the valve out and the bottom O-ring was broken. Should I put the good O-ring from the top onto the bottom for the time being? Or will that just cause water to leak from the top? I was thinking/hoping that the seal on the screw top cover might keep it sealed. Probably not though.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

If you have it apart you can always give it a try. Maybe it will leak less ??

For a very temporary repair you might try an automotive parts store (autozone, Oreilly, ...) as they usually carry an assortment of O rings in a box behind the counter. Not sure they'd have one big enough but if they did you'd only need to buy that one. Just don't count on it holding up.

You can get the grease at a hardware store or big box store (HomeDepot, Menards, ...).
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! I just made a pool store run and it looks like the top (black) and bottom (blue) orings are slightly different sizes so it probably would have been a disaster if I tried that!

11. Back To Top    #11

Bottom o ring replaced. Leak stopped. All is well (fingers crossed)

Thanks all! It's advice like this that motivated me to become a lifetime member.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Your support is much appreciated, thank you.

It's a great feeling to get in there and repair something yourself.
    Soooo much cheaper too.