Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replace bearings vs new motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

replace bearings vs new motor?

I think that after just 3 years, my pump motor bearings may be going bad (brand new motor 3 yrs old). I am hearing a loud whining sound coming from motor. Already replaced the impeller and seal, but that did not help. My question is, if I don't have a bearing puller, then by the time I buy the tools needed, plus the bearings themselves, I will have about $100 into it, and seems I can get a new 1hp motor for around $150. Is it worth the hassle to replace the bearings?

Also, if I replace motor, the last one I bought was US Motors from Leslie's and I just read a bunch of not great reviews on these motors. Should I get an AO Smith, or does it matter?
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Liner 3 yrs old, Intermatic PF1103T Timer w/ Freeze Protection, K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replace bearings vs new motor?

Harbor freight has the pullers for $15 and bearings are ~ $10 each online so I just replace them when they get noisy. Use sealed vs shielded to improve the life. Way below $100.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, that is good to know. So, other than the bearings, is there anything else that can cause a loud whining noise? Almost sounds like metal rubing metal at high speeds. Hate to go through the trouble to replace them, and have that not be the issue.
    27k gal, IG vinyl, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Liner 3 yrs old, Intermatic PF1103T Timer w/ Freeze Protection, K-2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is a link to a video where you can hear the whining sound. Does this sound lke bad bearings? - Pool pump bearings bad - YouTube

5. Back To Top    #5

It could be the armature hitting the windings due to bad bearings or something inside coming loose. Usually bearings are a high pitched whine/squeal.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cholmes28 View Post
    Here is a link to a video where you can hear the whining sound. Does this sound lke bad bearings? - Pool pump bearings bad - YouTube
    What did end up being? this sound exactly like the noise coming out of my Jandy Stealth 1.0 ...
    12x30x5, IG, 14000 gal., concrete, 1.0 hp Stealth SHPF pump, Booster pump, Jandy Lite 2 heater, Taylor K-2006C test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

First I thought it was bad impeller but after replacing it didn't solve. Then the pump stopped working so I bought a new one on amazon and it works great. So much quieter than my old one even before that sound started.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's a Very common noise when front bearing goes bad. Not sure why you replaced impeller instead of following advice here but for the above poster, I'd focus on doing a bearing replacement (along with seal/o-rings). I've rebuilt mine twice now on my 12 year old pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
    That's a Very common noise when front bearing goes bad. Not sure why you replaced impeller instead of following advice here but for the above poster, I'd focus on doing a bearing replacement (along with seal/o-rings). I've rebuilt mine twice now on my 12 year old pump.
    Where would I be able to buy bearings and seals to replace for a noisy Jandy 1.0 hp Stealth SHPF pump? Any recommended online shops? Or go local?
    12x30x5, IG, 14000 gal., concrete, 1.0 hp Stealth SHPF pump, Booster pump, Jandy Lite 2 heater, Taylor K-2006C test kit