Vacuumed pool, now have low flow. Partial clog?

May 13, 2016
Westchester NY
After vacuuming the pool, I now have low flow but seemingly good suction.

When I flip the pump switch on, the pump kinda chugs and goes through an endless 2-second cycle of water trickling into the pump basket, then shooting up and out to the filter while emptying the pump basket. Then that repeats.

When I flip the pump switch off, the water momentum / vacuum pressure fills the pump basket immediately. So I am led to believe there is great vacuum pressure sucking water from the skimmer to the pump but the water is having trouble getting through.

This occurs where my multiport is set to filter, direct to waste, or anything else.

When I was vacuuming, I put the vacuum hose direct to skimmer intake and got a few acorns, leaves, etc. but not a large number. Also vacuumed some dirt, typical stuff.

I lost flow during the vacuuming process and not after.

I put a garden hose with a hose bladder on it from the pump and shot a small amount of debris out of the hose line. But my problem was not fixed.

So I cut my skimmer PVC line and ran a snake down it (from the pump towards the skimmer) but I got nothing. It hits something that I think is a 90deg elbow.

Please help?! Would you agree that it sounds like a clogged line? How do I clear it? Could it be something else?

(Picture of my equipment here, for reference.)

Geoff,

What you describe is exactly what you get when the weir door on the skimmer is stuck in the closed position, or if the water level is very low. I'd check that first.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I never suggest folks hook the vacuum line up directly like that for just that risk- a plug in the line. Do you have a skimmer plate so that you vacuum directly into the skimmer and it saves the pump and pipes from risk of clog.

Have you checked your impeller to make sure its not bound up on something?

Thank you guys for your suggestions. I really appreciate this help.

Jimrahbe: the water level is fine. I thought at the time of your suggestion that you may be onto something, but then when I turned on the hose I realized I had a leak in the supply line to my hose. It took me a couple trips to the plumbing supply to fix it and hence I took a couple days to reply. But although I thought you might've been onto something, it turns out raising the water level has had no effect.

YippeeSkippy: I think you are probably right about the clog. I do not have one of those skimmer plates but I will buy one when this is all said and done... I did take the pump off of the basket and the impeller spun without resistance. But there is still a little bit of a sound like cavitation or bb's in a blender, and I didn't really know what I was looking for when I took the pump off earlier, so I might try this one again and be more thorough this time.

Based on YippeeSkippy's response, I'm still leaning towards just a nasty clog and I've called a pro to come out. Hopefully they have more tricks than just blowing it and snaking it like I already tried. It will take them 2 days or so to get out here.

But if you guys or anyone else has any suggestions for me, I am all ears.

Jim R: Will do. Thanks.

duraleigh: When running, the pump strainer basket is mostly air; water is a trickle into the basket as viewed through the clear cover. When I flip the switch to off, the slug of water immediately fills the basket with almost zero air in there. Thoughts?

You have a suction side air leak. That leak is allowing air up into the dome of the filter....compressing it.

When you shut the pump off, the compressed air in the top of the filter "backfires" and forces the water and air in reverse.

Try this...

Run your pump for a good 15 minutes or so. Then, pump running, open the pressure relief valve on the top of the filter until all the air is evacuated and water begins to shoot out.

Then close the pressure relief valve and shut off your pump. You should not get that "backfire".

duraleigh:

Turns out my Hayward S244T doesn't have an air bleed valve...

Searching the forum shows a few hits of other guys with this puzzling situation.

Can you think of a workaround? Does the lack of an air bleed valve mean that my model is somehow "self-bleeding"? Do I need to install a bleed valve myself?

With no bleed, you cannot test like I suggested. I would get one and install it. If you see frothing water in the pump basket strainer, you can be sure you have an air leak.

There is an article in pool school on suction side leaks so I would read that and go about finding your leak. Here's the good news....every newbie assumes they are underground when they can't easily find them......they ALMOST NEVER are.

You'll have to be diligent but find that leak and the backfire will stop. I can't believe it can crack your plastic lid but I guess anything is possible. Make sure lid is seated correctly...IT DOESN"T NEED TO BE TIGHT....just seated on the seal and then hand snugged at the most.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No froth. Really skeptical if there is an air leak because it tends to run great (with full pump basket zero bubbles) up until that distinct point in time when I was vacuuming.

But, Pro comes tomorrow. I've turned off the filter and too busy tonight with work stuff to deal with it. Hopefully they can straighten me out. I'll let you know what they find.

Thanks again. Sincerely appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.