Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump failure

1. Back To Top    #1

Jamestown, CA

Pump failure

The 2HP maxiglas pro decided not to self prime. Motor runs fine but not sucking water. Removed pump from basket housing, turned on the pump and the motor runs fine. Impellers turn and freely. Tried putting water hose into the basket inlet hoping to help it prime. I'm wondering if I need to replace
    from the seal plate to the tank body assembly. Other than that I have no idea why it quit.
    In ground 18X38. Hayward DE filter, 2 HP Maxi Glass motor. Polaris 3900 cleaner. Pool is plastered. Both filter and Polaris motors have been previously replaced. Maxi Glass motors have always been reliable but not happy with the 3900.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

Re: Pump failure

The number one reason for a pump not priming is an air leak at the O-Ring under the pump basket lid. Have you inspected it and coated it with pool lube?

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.