Help with patching an empty inground pool

So I neglected the pool at my place (which was left to me after a friend's untimely passing) for far too long. The water was like mud in its deepest area and the bug to bug repellent ratio was NOT in my favor. I drained the pool into my houses main drain and cleaned up all the mess. I replaced the pump and updated all the plumbing.

I did not see any major cracks and there's no evidence that the pool leaks. I did however see
2 hairline cracks up high on the walls that I want to patch as well as some indentations on the floor from runaway chlorine pucks that were allowed to eat away at the pools floor.

I acid washed the pool, rinsed it, cleaned it with T. S. P. And rinsed again. I was told i could use hydraulic cement for the patching however, even though I cut out a bigger area and I let the cement dry for a week it didn't adhere to the surface and large portions just chipped off when using the pressure spray setting on the garden hose ....so I took a wire brush to it yesterday and cleared it all off and was going to take another shot at it..

The Questions:

1) now I read I should really only use hydraulic cement for large holes where leaking is occurring and in fact shouldn't be used for patching. So I purchased some Quickrete Concrete Patching Compound which seems like it's better suited for small cracks and smoothing out the burn indents caused by the chlorine pucks. It also has a fast cure time if only 24 hours. Will this work adequately?

2) I will be painting the pool (I know... boo... Hiss....) i got 4 gallons of dual epoxy white paint. I can not personally be sure of this pools surface but my buddy is a self proclaimed pool genius and says it doesn't appear to have been painted before and if it were, it was with an epoxy. I attached some pics to this post.... Can anyone tell from them if it looks like the pool was painted before and confirm my friends assumption that if it were it was with an epoxy?

3) even with acid washing and using the TSP twice, I am unable to get off all the brown staining on the walls much less the markings on the floor. Can anyone tell by the pictures what these stains are and how can I clear them? I can in fact wire brush them off (with bleeding knuckles mind you), but is that necessary? My friend seems to think as long as we've cleaned the surface completly then the paint will adhere just fine. I fear from my online research that if this is some sort of left over paint or algea or grime, them the paint will determinate and chip off in a very short period of time. Thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time reading this and I promise to post pictures of the final results once completed. I won't let the pool season close without at least one pool party... I just need a little guidance.

:)

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_20160814_121624.jpg
    IMG_20160814_121624.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20160814_121802.jpg
    IMG_20160814_121802.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20160814_121817.jpg
    IMG_20160814_121817.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20160814_122659.jpg
    IMG_20160814_122659.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I am thinking you are not getting an answer is not because no one cares but no one know the answer. We lean more towards caring for a pool. We have had very little follow up with painted pools done by others so don't know what will happen when you paint :( Sorry

well actually the most important thing i hoped to find an answer to was the stains that are in the pictures i supplied. I took them with a 12 megapixal camera so people could zoom in on the stains.... As I explained, i acid washed the pool (4 parts water 1 part acid) and followed the instructions exactly, then cleaned the pool with TSP but it did very little to remove the "stains". I rinsed the pool real well and was just going to throw caution to the wind and paint is since it was an expoxy [aint ill be using and i thought it would be pretty forgiving and would cover it all up. But then i started feeling guilty and decided to just do a once over but this time a 1 part water 1 part acid wash and a stronger TSP.... nothing.... the stains are still there... I was just hoping a carreer pool guy would look at the pics and say "duh... thats....xxxxxxx,,,, all you need to do is xxxxxxxxx"

the other questions in my post are still unanswered for the most part, but these stains are whats holding me back.... if someone looked at them and said it was clearly left over paint.... then me painting over it could be a waste of money becuase 6 months from now it would all lift... or thats to my understanding anyways.... but then again, if it is dirt and stains, painting over that is a bad idea... so instead i started looking for someting to strip it out no matter what it is but since the acid didnt work.... what would i use?

so there you have it.... more questions regarding my question.... you know, the one i never got an answer to... lets see how these fare.... lol.... just being a clown...

im in L.A. and finally by the end of the week and the whole weekend it will be in the lower 80s and im aiming to paint it them.... the first tieme below 90 in weeks!

truely, any insight from the pics i posted would be appreciated....

;-)

Jeff

IMG_20160814_121624.jpgIMG_20160814_121802.jpgIMG_20160814_121817.jpgIMG_20160814_122659.jpg

There is not enough information to determine what is going on in your pool. It could be calcium scale but acid should remove it. Paint will only last two or three years in the best case scenario. What is going on in this pool will likely make it last less time. I would call a plaster company and get a price for plaster and an opinion on the current condition. And check into Ecofinish by Aquabright also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.