LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It's all very confusing. Partly because of the more/bigger is always better human thinking and also because we want the cleanest pool possible...Is this thinking, (http://consensus.fsu.edu/FBC/Pool-E...4_study-efficiency_of_circulation_systems.pdf) posted by mas985 in his signature regarding run time and pump size, still current/reasonable thinking? Does it jive with current real life experience of other pool owners?

Ive been doing research to replace my Intex 1/2HP pump and 12" sand filter with a larger, more powerful combination. (I keep hearing it is terribly undersized.) But, If my research is correct, I don't need a larger more powerful set up. I need a more efficient set up. It seems a high efficiency 3/4HP two speed pump and sand filter combination is a better way to go for my 12 x24 Ultra Frame pool (and probably a larger 16 x 32 Ultra Frame when I upgrade). And, I only need that if I want or need more power to run a vacuum or automatic pool cleaner. If I don't care about that, hard plumbing will make my 1/2HP set up much more efficient, though I would still be under sized for vacuuming or for the automatic cleaner. It seems the larger is better mentality is also driven to some degree by manufacturer pricing. When you can pickup a 1HP pump and 19" sand filter for under $200.00, why not go for it.

Then there's the selection of the sand filter. For above ground pools, manufacturers seem to sell combination units and, usually, there is not much technical information in the description. (For example flow rate of the filter is hardly every listed.) Can we, should we, trust the manufacturers pump/sand filter combination is correct? How are we to select the proper set-up?

Soooo, rant over......can someone who understands my plight, (and the subject matter better than me) point me towards a manufacturer or manufacturers, who sell a 3/4 HP two speed pump and sand filter combination that can meet the needs of my pool? I understand that it will not be in the $200.00, bigger is better range. I'm looking for something that will work for my current setup and maybe an upgrade to a larger pool in the ear future, aaaaaaaaaaand help me maintain, along with proper chemistry, a TFP crystal clear pool?

Or should I stop whining, buy the inexpensive Intex 1HP 3000gph single speed pump, run it for less time and get over myself?

Again......What sayeth all ya'll?

Jeffchap....thanks. I've seen your post in another thread I was in. That's the other set up I was looking at. Piolin beat me to the punch and gave me pool envy..... Apparently, Im over thinking. It's not an Olympic size public pool. It's small soft sided pool for FUN.......I'm going to keep it that way....No more whining..

I have decided on the Intex 3000 gph pump/sand filter combination. My power location situation makes this the best choice for now. I'll increase the size of the two suction strainers, add a through wall skimmer to replace my Intex over the wall type and hard plumb everything. It's coming down in a couple weeks to pour a slab for the pool and greater outdoor living area. Looking forward to this upgrade and anticipating a larger pool soon.....hehehe...just saying pooldv.....
Ill keep you posted.....

Update...Sent the Intex 3000 gph pump and sand filter back. I need to think long term. Impulse buy. Safe buy. Inexpensive buy. After posting with a couple of experts, I'll rethink and do a little more research. Maybe spend a little more money for something more substantial....thanks all..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.