Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Use drain unblocker to lower pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

Use drain unblocker to lower pH?

I need to lower my pH a little, it's 7.8, alkalinity is fine, I've read that muriatic acid is the way to go, unfortunately I'm having trouble getting any locally, many store have decided that now the schools are back that everyone must be closing their pools

So, I thought, can I use drain unblocker instead? The ones that are hydrochloric acid based, as I understand it, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, so in theory it should work.

I thought I'd ask the experts on here first though!
    Pool size in gallons - 13,640
    Filter type - Pentair Sand
    In ground
    Plaster/pebble, approx 33ft x 11ft
    Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed
    Age - not sure, most likely ~20 years

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Use drain unblocker to lower pH?

Is there no Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace hardware store nearby? Lowes and Home Depot carry MA in the outside pool section, and everyone carries MA in the paint department, all year around. The paint department version may be a lower concentrate than the pool area version, so make sure to check to know how much you need to use. I would not use drano or any other drain cleaner at all, ever. They contain things like aluminum flakes, surfactants, etc., to cut thru grease and to make the chemical reaction happen, and I would not put that in my pool.
    18,000 gallon freeform inground plaster
    Jandy 1.5 hp pump & .75 hp booster pump
    Aquapure SWG
    Pentair Triton II sand filter
    Legend pressure-side vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been buying the liquid chlorine pool bleach from Walmart, went there yesterday and they have got rid of all the pool stuff, according the associate, someone purchased everything...so an entire isle purchased...they must have a big check book!

Went to HomeDepot, they don't have it, and what pool supplies they do have are covered in dirt and in sun bleached packing, Ace Hardware don't have it, haven't tried Lowes yet though.

Thanks for the drain cleaner info, I know HCI is a major ingredient, didn't know about the other stuff, so yep, it won't be going any where near my pool now.
    In ground

4. Back To Top    #4

My ace has acid but not where you can get,to,it off the shelf or in the warehouse. They have you order it when paying and someone brings it out when you drive around back now. They indicated that they changed the policy because of,their insurance company....
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    I've been buying the liquid chlorine pool bleach from Walmart, went there yesterday and they have got rid of all the pool stuff, according the associate, someone purchased everything...so an entire isle purchased...they must have a big check book!

Went to HomeDepot, they don't have it, and what pool supplies they do have are covered in dirt and in sun bleached packing, Ace Hardware don't have it, haven't tried Lowes yet though.

Thanks for the drain cleaner info, I know HCI is a major ingredient, didn't know about the other stuff, so yep, it won't be going any where near my pool now.
    Muratic acid can be found in the paint section of almost all big box hardware stores. Not in the pool section per se
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Ah, ok I'll try ACE again as they are really close by, maybe they have it outback.

Failing that, I'll try HomeDepot again, didn't think to look in the paint aisle.

Thank you both for the great tips.
    In ground

7. Back To Top    #7

You should be able to get this (HDX 2x1-Gallon Muriatic Acid-2118 HD - The Home Depot) from home depot. Tell it which store you are going to and the website should tell you exactly which aisle to find it in.
    22,500 gallon in ground pool with vinyl liner. DE filter. Taylor K-2006.

8. Back To Top    #8

In addition to the paint department, I think Lowes carries it in the concrete department (for cleaning bricks, mortar, etc.)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Muratic acid can be found in the paint section of almost all big box hardware stores. Not in the pool section per se
    My Home Depot carries it outside near the fencing (this store doesn't carry any pool supplies). Two one-gallon jugs in a box (their own HDX brand). The boxes at my HD were dirty, but the contents were intact and pristine.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

It's used to clean masonry, cement, brick, etc. It's ~ 31% so do use extra caution, and don't overdose your pool.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006