Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Screaming pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Screaming pump

OK. I'm pretty sure that the bearings on my pump motor are going out. The motor just started screaming. The motor is a 1 HP Regal Beloit EPC. Is this an easy repair? I'm fairly handy with tools. I do most of my own vehicle repair and maintenance. I found an article on replacing the bearings on a Hayward Super Pump that indicated that the bearings must be pressed on and off. I don't have such a press. If this is needed, do I need to go to a pool store or a machine shop? Is the press something special unique to pool pumps?

Or would I be better off just replacing the motor?

Thanks.
    IG 20K gal w/deep end, vinyl, 1 HP Regal Beloit EPC pump, single 120 sqft Haywood C-1200 cartridge filter, Polaris 360 cleaning robot, pool frog (that is not being used).

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Screaming pump

I can't speak to specifics about a Regal Beloit but if you do find out the bearing need to be pressed most auto repair shops have a hydraulic press on hand. Once you know if you need a press you might try calling a couple local shops or drop in with the motor to see if it's something they'd do for you.

You can also look up electric motor re-builders in your area and get a price on having them do it all to see if DIY is even worth it.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Are pump/motor interfaces standard? I.e. if I were to replace the motor, would I need to replace the pump assembly as well?
    IG 20K gal w/deep end, vinyl, 1 HP Regal Beloit EPC pump, single 120 sqft Haywood C-1200 cartridge filter, Polaris 360 cleaning robot, pool frog (that is not being used).

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

There should be a plate with a bunch of information on it including the motors model and serial number. Those can be used to cross it over to different manufacturers. If you post the info someone here should be able to give you options.

I'm not sure but I think Regal Beloit is just the motors manufacturer and it's not the brand of the pump. Any chance the pump housing has a different brand name on it ?? Hayward, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Jacuzzi, ...

Might be a good time to go with a two speed motor. Depending on your electric costs they can pay for themselves.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!