Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A heads-up for TFP newbies about bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

A heads-up for TFP newbies about bleach

I'm sure this has been discussed on here someplace before, but I just wanted to post a quick warning....

Do not make the mistake I did earlier this summer. This product labeled SPLASHLESS BLEACH is NOT what you should be using. It is NOT just a thicker formulation of regular household bleach. Whatever it is, it is way less concentrated, so requires more, and therefore is a waste of money. Also, it has surfactants in it so it foams up.

Don't waste your time and money like I did.....
    inground fiberglass, 15'x39', 21600 gallons, installed 1988; solar blanket as only heating source; HARD water from municipal source
    Sta-Rite System 3 sand filter model S8570, installed 5/2000 - Sta-Rite Dura-Glas pump, one HP
    Polaris 380 cleaner, Polaris Halcyon booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A heads-up for TFP newbies about bleach

Good reminder.

NO splashless
    NO easy pour
    NO scents

We want
    Concentrated
    Original
    Unscented
    Plain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Good reminder.

NO splashless
    NO easy pour
    NO scents

We want
    Concentrated
    Original
    Unscented
    Plain
    Original?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I know. That is what my store brand bleach at Kroger says. Not extra crispy!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

@pooldv, what is a good source of chemicals in the DFW (north DFW) area. Will grocery store bleach work or do I need to go to chemical supply? Thanks
    Pool Built 2008, IG rectangular + round spa 15330 Gallon, quartz color finish, with spa, Jandy CL460, 4 Cartridge filter Unicel C-7468, 2 HP motor Centurion Pool pump, Booster Pump Centurion 3/4 HP motor, Pentair booster pump LA01N, LXI400N pool heater

SWG Aqua Pure PCL 1400 Chlorinator not working

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    @pooldv, what is a good source of chemicals in the DFW (north DFW) area. Will grocery store bleach work or do I need to go to chemical supply? Thanks

I I go to Tom Thumb and by their generic bleach. It's 6%, cheap, and works well
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

7. Back To Top    #7

Grocery store, Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart - Ace, etc. As long as it is marked 8.25% or 10% or 12.5%in pool supply areas of any of these stores.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, I get 8.25% bleach at Kroger, store brand. I buy muriatic acid, salt and stabilizer at Lowes. Also, 20 Team Mule Borax at Kroger. That is all that goes in my pool.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the reply, i found the reply's
    Pool Built 2008, IG rectangular + round spa 15330 Gallon, quartz color finish, with spa, Jandy CL460, 4 Cartridge filter Unicel C-7468, 2 HP motor Centurion Pool pump, Booster Pump Centurion 3/4 HP motor, Pentair booster pump LA01N, LXI400N pool heater

10. Back To Top    #10

what type of stabilizer do you buy

11. Back To Top    #11

Granular, whatever brand Lowes sells. They switch it up some. I think it is clorox right now.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

The best thing for comparing apples to oranges is the chlorine price per oz calculator. Bleach comes in different sizes and concentrations and the best way to figure out what you're paying and which one is a good deal is to use this calculator - - > Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

I get mine at a big box store and it's 12.99 for 4 gallons of 12.5%
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

I buy my chlorine at the pool store. That is the only thing I buy from the pool store. Muratic acid from lowes.
    32x16 inground chlorine. 23000 gallon with diving board
    vinyl liner 1hp hayward super pump. Waterway sand filter new in 2014.
    maytronics dolphin m200 robot. I live in central NY.
    TF100 kit Taylor speedstir. Sonos audio

14. Back To Top    #14

What % of calcium chloride do you buy? What is the source? Will the de-icer type work.

15. Back To Top    #15

So I'm a newbie if there ever was one. Just yesterday I picked up 'The Home Store' brand of bleach from the Dollar Tree ( just because it's right by my house) but now I think I need to take it back. It doesn't mention the % so I'm skeptical.
    22' Intex AG - 12K Gallons
    Model 633T Cartridge Pump
    August 17, 2016

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by fralo View Post
    So I'm a newbie if there ever was one. Just yesterday I picked up 'The Home Store' brand of bleach from the Dollar Tree ( just because it's right by my house) but now I think I need to take it back. It doesn't mention the % so I'm skeptical.
    Per a thread from 2015, it is probably 3% or less.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

If it doesn't list it on the label you should do an internet search for the MSDS (material safety data sheet). It will be listed in there.
    Any bleach, laundry or pool is ok to use as long as it's not scented or the easy pour/splashless. Doesn't matter what strength other than the lower the strength the more you have to carry to the pool and add each time.
    For value you need to use the calculator to find out how much you're paying for the chlorine itself no matter the strength or size jug. The calculator will even out different strenghts and sizes so you have an apples to apples comparison of "The Home Store" to Walmarts to 12% from a pool store or whatever you find at a grocery store or big box.

Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    What % of calcium chloride do you buy? What is the source? Will the de-icer type work.
    De-icer type
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

18. Back To Top    #18

walmart often sells "pool chlorinator" 10% bleach for $2.50 - 3 a gallon
    Lots of threads here talking about where to get bleach cheap
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

$2.50 when on sale. Worth looking for but a lot of the more northern stores are running out and not restocking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Back To Top    #20

Calcium chloride is used in de-icer. In Wi. it is common, I would bet. In the DFW area not until the snow & ice get say inch to inch and a half. What we call a major storm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast