Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zapped By Lightening

1. Back To Top    #1

Palm City, FL

Zapped By Lightening

Lightening recently struck my house and took out my irrigation controller. To my surprise my pool pump and controller also was found to not be working. I have a Jandy Stealth JEP 1.5 which uses a Zodiac JEP-R control head mounted on the wall. I first thought the controller on the wall had the circuit board blown. I was able to get a new one (for test purposes) and plugged it in but no go. Here is what I have found. I am getting 248 volts to the pump. I am getting I think it was 22 volts from the 4 pin socket on the pump. If I test the 4 pin socket on the wall I get the same volts as from the socket at the pump. All seems good until I try to plug the controller in. When i do that I loose the voltage at the pump. I was told it might be the circuit board on the speed drive assembly that is bad. My questions are: 1) is this a good assumption? 2) can I replace just the circuit board on the speed drive? 3) can I just replace the speed drive unit as a whole?

I have been checking on the Internet and I have been unable to find just the speed drive itself. I did see one on Ebay and that is a R0474900 which is for a 2.0 Hp motor P{Would that work on a 1.5 HP motor?}. That was selling for $675. Other than that the only thing I see is a R0562202 which is the speed drive and a motor sold as one unit for $889.45.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the problem might be and how I can find parts to fix it that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg. This lightening strike took out a few other things that has already set me back almost $1,000. (and no my insurance deductible is too high to pay for anything).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Sacramento, CA

Re: Zapped By Lightening

I'm responding to bump you up a bit -- All Florida pools should have a surge protector which may help with lighting
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Zapped By Lightening

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    i'm responding to bump you up a bit -- all florida pools should have a surge protector which may help with lighting
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit