Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting rid of booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting rid of booster pump

As the title says. I currently have three pumps but want to go down to 1. I upgraded to a variable speed 3 hp and went from a pressure sweep to a vacuum. I am very happy with it so I want to eliminate the booster pump at least. I am just not sure what to do about the plumbing line from it. I am afraid if I just cap it the stagnant water in the line can create a problem.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting rid of booster pump

Have the same question. Had I known about robots, I would have told the builder not to install the booster pump and associated plumbing for it.
    Installed 7/10/2016 : 18.3K gal. : IG Plaster : 3.5' - 6.5' : Integrated Spa
    Pentair WhisperFlo Pump, 1.5 HP : Century Centurion Booster Pump, 3/4 HP
    Pentair 420 sqft. Cartridge Filter : Pentair Inline Rainbow TriChlorinator
    Pentair EasyTouch Pool/Spa 8 : Pentair IC60 SWG : Pentair Intellibrite 5 Spa Lights x 2
    Pentair Kreepy Krawly Legend Pressure Side Cleaner : Taylor K-2006C Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't see myself ever going to a pressure sweep so I want to clean up my equipment pad. Any advice would be great
    aprox 18k in ground

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a booster for a Polaris that I use as a back up for my robot. Got to have a back up - think about it. Anyway, the water from the main pump goes right through the booster when it is not running and if I wanted to remove the booster all I would have to do is put piping in it's place.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ned8377 View Post
    I have a booster for a Polaris that I use as a back up for my robot. Got to have a back up - think about it. Anyway, the water from the main pump goes right through the booster when it is not running and if I wanted to remove the booster all I would have to do is put piping in it's place.
    Good point on the back up. I don't have one now but if I get a back up it will probly be vacuum so I still shouldn't need the booster. I don't know why I didn't think about just connecting the plumbing straight through. I'm new to pools but not plumbing
    aprox 18k in ground

6. Back To Top    #6

i have fountains on my pool that i am adding on to the main pump so my question is should i use a tee with 2 actuators or a 3 way valve with 1 actuator
    aprox 18k in ground

7. Back To Top    #7

With a three way you won't be able to turn off both fountains--one of them will always be on.
    22K gal, IG plaster, 2.2 SF HP Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro single speed pump, Hayward DE 4820 filter, M500 cleaning robot, 600 gallon spillover spa, built in 1981 and re-plastered 2008.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by barnnns1 View Post
    As the title says. I currently have three pumps but want to go down to 1. I upgraded to a variable speed 3 hp and went from a pressure sweep to a vacuum. I am very happy with it so I want to eliminate the booster pump at least. I am just not sure what to do about the plumbing line from it. I am afraid if I just cap it the stagnant water in the line can create a problem.
    It seems to me all you need to do is connect the input pipe on your booster to the output pipe on the booster. Remove any "door" at the pool end, and you end up with another return. Water will pass through it, just like any pool return, so it can't go stagnate.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
    With a three way you won't be able to turn off both fountains--one of them will always be on.
    its one line that feeds 3 fountains. the other would be the return back to pool.
    aprox 18k in ground