Question regarding my swg

sersee

May 23, 2014
South Jersey
ok so thanks to this wonderful forum, I had my water balanced and my pool was sparkly!! It took me awhile and a SLAM . I even went away for a week and still had a clear pool. Well I went away again for four days. I live in NJ so the heat and humidity has been oppressive . I don't have any shade for my pool.

My pool is still clear but I can see some stuff on the bottom. I am wondering if it's algae again. Now we did have a gusty thunderstorm last night I heard, so it could be dirt. With the help of the people on here, we think I had algae before even though I kept passing the OCLT. But my pool was awful cloudy.

Anyway, it looks clear although my jets are running so it's hard to see just how clear. I just put in my robot to clean some of the gunk I did see. I checked my Fc and I am at 1.5 and CC 0. My CYA is 40. My Ph is now 8.2, but I expected to come home to that. According to the charts my target should be fc 5 with a minimum of fc 3. My pool is somewhere around the 26-27,000 range. Not quite sure. In pool math, its 26,900.

I was looking up my manual for the Breeze 540 swg . I remembered it said it should have more salt than what I have in it now. It wants 4000-4500. Does that seem high? I thought maybe that might help my swg keep the chlorine levels a little more stable but then I read the rest of the manual.

It says :

PH 7.2-7.6 This is fine..I try to keep mine around 7.5
TA 80-100... Is that right? I think my last measurement was 70... I have to retest.
CYA 30-50??? Im pretty sure I read on this website that it should be 70

FC 1ppm - 3ppm .... Isn't that low? Do I not want to Target 5?

So do I add more salt and ignore the manual? Do I ignore all of it?

Hi again, Sersee. First thing to do is take your pH down to 7.5 and there's a good chance the cloudiness will clear up right away. You were using dry acid which is not recommended for a SWG, so I'm hoping you're fully on muriatic acid now. If it doesn't clear up, then algae is probably underway again because of FC falling to half your minimum. But fingers crossed that pH will get it done.

Ignore the manual for your SWG except for the salt level, and raise that to 4,000 to 4,500 ppm if that's what the manual says. That's not an unusual level although it is a bit higher than some other brands of SWG.

TA at 70 and CYA at 70 are good numbers for your pool.

Stick to TFPC recommendations: Pool School - Recommended Levels
And the FC/CYA chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I hope you're having a great summer!

It doesn't seem cloudy.. It was just completely dirty again... When you vacuum, it makes a clean streak. I brushed the sides, and dirt was brushed off. I'm just not sure if it's algae or not. My robot is broken, so I have to suction vacuum the rest.

Ok so ignore all but the salt recommendation. I know my salt was at 3200.I probably should get it tested again.

I put bleach in. It was at 1.5.I added what the pool math told me to get it to 5. It is actually at 7 now..

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think you should reduce pool volume in PoolMath to 24,000 gallons and see how that goes.

You better to an OCLT and see if algae regained a foothold, then we can take it from there. Or if you want to save time, go ahead and SLAM it.

Sorry to hear about your robot :(

The 7 is not a problem in any way, so don't worry too much about that. If you see it going consistently in one direction, then its worth adjusting PoolMath and I recall you thinking early on that you might be closer to 25,000. Either approach is fine, but most people just estimate based on jug size. Harder for us SWG types who don't add much though :)

Ok thats good... We have been vacuuming the pool and brushing it so now it is a tad cloudy. So I am going to see if it clears . Question..I know I can use Clorox bleach and to stick with original. My pool store closed early so can't get liquid chlorine. I used regular clorox in my pool last night. Was thinking of bringing it up to shock level over night and seeing how it goes. I bought germicidal bleach at Lowes thinking it was the same. But then I looked it up and thought I read on here to not use it...so I haven't. Its ingredients are the same as bleach but I think I read it could have additives? Anyway I have my own regular bleach from clorox. It says regular. But it's concentrated and says more whitening power. Its the 8.25%. I think it is just normal bleach? So it's 121 oz but is more like 180 or something like that(it says on the bottle).. I am assuming I should just wait and go to the pool store tomorrow to add liquid chlorine . But now I am freaking out a bit thinking I didn't put the right bleach in?

So now I just need to figure out if I should SLAM ....again. Is this bad for my pool to keep SLAMing? Thank goodness I didn't raise my cya yet . I was about too since it was all clear.

SLAM does not hurt your pool, your body, or your pool equipment.

A guiding principle of TFPC is to keep the pool available for swimming, make it last as long as possible, and keep maintenance costs down.

All bleach is germicidal, so it sounds like marketing gobbledegook. If there's any other chemical listed on the bottle, let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.