Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is My Pool Ready to Jump on the Borates Bus?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is My Pool Ready to Jump on the Borates Bus?

I've been busy converting my pool to TFP method and moving closer to BBB. 55lbs of boric acid from Duda will arrive Monday ($84 including shipping). I'm almost there!

Currently:
    FC 4
    CC .5
    PH 7.9
    CH 275
    TA 80
    CYA 40
    BOR 1 (Looks like I need almost all 55lbs to get to 50ppm.)

Is the chemistry inline for boric acid?

Any other guidance?

Thank you!
    23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is My Pool Ready to Jump on the Borates Bus?

Is your pH stable with a TA of 80ppm? If not, you want to lower TA BEFORE you add borates.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Ph stability has been a challenge. It would rise and I'd knock it back down with MA. Only to rise again., which is why I was switching my pump run times (from 22 hrs/day to 15 hrs/day).

23,000 gallon gunite chlorine pool / spa .. French Gray Pebble Sheen .. IntelliFlo VF main pump .. IntelliFlo VS spa booster pump .. WhisperFlo 1HP water feature pump .. LA01N .75HP cleaner booster pump .. Letro Legend Platinum cleaner .. Quad DE 100 filter .. Max-E-Therm 400k heater .. Rainbow 320 chlorinator .. 1.5HP blower .. Easy Touch 8 remote control .. 8 Twirlybyrd jet spa .. Paralevel .. TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep my TA at 50 and with Borates my PH has stayed locked in at 7.5 to 7.6. I put 10 Oz of MA in twice this season. In prior years before Borates my PH swung up all the time. I used to put 2 to 3 gallons of MA in a season.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

The boric acid way is so much easier. I went with borax boxes and it's a lot of work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!