Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The TFP way

1. Back To Top    #1

The TFP way

We finally got the pool replaced this past June after waiting THREE YEARS for the rain to stop and the pool area to dry enough to put the new pool in! The old one blew out in May of 2013 and the rains started the following week. The pool area is inside the deck, at the bottom of a long slope, next to and about 6" higher than the swamp which forms our back yard. And yes, it is in a flood plain. The pics are starting the fill...full and now . It took a week to get it this way. As you can see, our well has a little iron. As soon as the heat and humidity back down - heat index is 111' as I write this - I'll rebuild the deck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The TFP way

So how in the world did you get that water so clear? Looks great!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Magic fairy dust. The hard part is finding the Magic Fairy....
    In the past sunlight would precipitate the iron, but not this time. Desperate to act before it stained the new liner (it has slightly, but AA is taking care of it) I resorted to SeaKlear Metal Klear (which is tetrasodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate. Say that 3 times fast!) Then added sand filter fiber and kept filtering and backwashing. Chlorine, salt, CYA and borax. Piece of cake. I kinda, sorta, almost trust the pool store owner since I do my own testing and she figured out by my questions that I had at least a small clue about pools.

4. Back To Top    #4

was it iron or just dirt? If it was iron- please share what did you do.

I believe they call it EDTA for that reason How long did it take to clear?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

At first I thought it was red clay, since that was the issue when we lived in the Piedmont of NC. But no red clay here, its all sand with a little yellow clay occasionally. We have both iron and sulfur, constantly fighting iron stains even with a softener.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Vickery View Post
    Magic fairy dust. The hard part is finding the Magic Fairy....
    In the past sunlight would precipitate the iron, but not this time. Desperate to act before it stained the new liner (it has slightly, but AA is taking care of it) I resorted to SeaKlear Metal Klear (which is tetrasodium ethylenediaminetetraacetate. Say that 3 times fast!) Then added sand filter fiber and kept filtering and backwashing. Chlorine, salt, CYA and borax. Piece of cake. I kinda, sorta, almost trust the pool store owner since I do my own testing and she figured out by my questions that I had at least a small clue about pools.
    I've tried metal clear but it clouded my water.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

7. Back To Top    #7

As in many (most?) things in pools and life....YMMV.