Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sizing of SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

sizing of SWG

Hi again,

I read your SWG section in poolschool and am beginning to understand some of this stuff. I am thinking of getting a hayward swimpure plus. Our pool is just at 25,000 gallons. Would we be better off buying the unit made for 40,000 or the one made for 25,000 which would put us at the top of the limit? Thanks!
    Jason Sandeman

13000 Gallon Above Ground Pool (21' x 5') with Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    I do not know flow rate for pump? Help??? Filter is 44 gpm

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: sizing of SWG

Yes, aside from the increased cost, it is much nicer to have a SWG that is a little too large for your pool. The cell of the larger SWG will last longer than the cell for the smaller one, mostly offsetting the price difference in the long run.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Brisbane, Australia

It's best to always oversize.
    Depending on many conditions 25k g rated SWG might or might not handle 25k gallon pool, but 40k gallon rated SWG definitely will.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, the larger cell will allow you to run at a lower output percentage to maintain the same free chlorine level and this will directly translate into better pH stability (lower acid demand), less likelihood of creating scaling conditions, and easier water maintenance!