Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pebble _________ and the TFP method

1. Back To Top    #1

Pebble _________ and the TFP method

About to leave the dark side.

CYA is on the high side (from pucks go figure)

Draining and refilling some now.

What numbers do you aim for for a Pebble sheen/tec pool? Are they any different from regular plaster.

Located in cypress TX. Yes it was over 100 for the last 5 days.

Thanks for any info as I want to know my targets before starring the slam and maintenance.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pebble _________ and the TFP method

Also any concern from the methods here bleaching out the color of the pebble sheen??

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_ox View Post
    Also any concern from the methods here bleaching out the color of the pebble sheen??

--------------

Welcome!

It would greatly help us to help you if you put details of your pool, liner, equipment and the name of the test kit you're using into your signature, makes it easy for us to find.
    If you haven't got TF100 kit/K2006 I highly recommend to start there: TF100 test kit as this forum promotes pool care based on reliable data and those are only 2 kits so far which are accurate enough and affordable.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Surf, I take it you are draining because your CYA is too high? Why do you need to SLAM? Do you have algae?

Oh, and welcome to TFP!! We love pics so don't forget to post some!

- - - Updated - - -

And I don't think you need to worry about your Pebble color bleaching out.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

TC vs FC is high indicating a problem.

Yes cya is on high side. As is calcium hardness.

Once I know targets I'll post up current numbers and official Intro.

--------------

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Are you asking TFP to suggest where your numbers should be? We'd have to know where you are first.

If you want to go to California, you have to know where you are before you can get directions on how to get there.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

More here on posting test results and what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Surf_ox.. you need a reliable test kit to get your baseline numbers. TFTestkits.net is the source for our approved kits (either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006)

We need to know:
    FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

and you need to start reading --> ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Recommended Levels (which get tweaked by your own locale and needs)-->Pool School - Recommended Levels
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

I have used the TFP since my Pebble Fina pool was brand new.

The only problem I have is crystal clear water. once you get this going CYA buffers your chlorine and its all fine. Its better than most systems because you chlorinate based on the CYA level. Therefore the chlorine is always buffered.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post
    Surf, I take it you are draining because your CYA is too high? Why do you need to SLAM? Do you have algae?

- - - Updated - - -

Thats was my main concern on the bleaching out

OK here we go...

13,000 gal pool on east side of house in Cypress, TX (will update sig once i find that link again)

Readings at 600p 8/13
    FC 1
    TC 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 420
    CYA 60
    TEMP 80
    Water Quality - Clear
    Filters cleaned this am.

using a K 2006 kit

were expecting a large amount of rain tonight and tomorrow (inches)

My assumption on the SLAM is the large TC vs FC (pending bloom) from what I've read and want to stay ahead of it. I threw a gallon of bleach int here just to get some C in the water until i start the SLAM. I tested my fill water and TC was 5 and FC was 0....is that normal????

Ive got 15 gal of 8.25% bleach on hand and ready to SLAM to get this right

I know the target FC numbers depend on CYA from chart...but what are other Pebble____ pool owners aiming towards??

opinions on the slam??

thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_ox View Post
    Thats was my main concern on the bleaching out

OK here we go...

13,000 gal pool on east side of house in Cypress, TX (will update sig once i find that link again)

Readings at 600p 8/13
    FC 1
    TC 7.6
    TA 90
    CH 420
    CYA 60
    TEMP 80
    Water Quality - Clear
    Filters cleaned this am.

using a K 2006 kit

were expecting a large amount of rain tonight and tomorrow (inches)

My assumption on the SLAM is the large TC vs FC (pending bloom) from what I've read and want to stay ahead of it. I threw a gallon of bleach int here just to get some C in the water until i start the SLAM. I tested my fill water and TC was 5 and FC was 0....is that normal????

Ive got 15 gal of 8.25% bleach on hand and ready to SLAM to get this right

I know the target FC numbers depend on CYA from chart...but what are other Pebble____ pool owners aiming towards??

opinions on the slam??

thanks
    I would retest your fill water, Chlorine level of 5?? I question on how you are testing....your pebble pool use plaster, same target
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

12. Back To Top    #12

I have never read that the pebble finishes require anything different either from the pebble companies or here. If they did, it would be a problem that would have been obvious long ago. The water needs to be maintained one way or the other. There are slight differences between fiberglass, plaster & vinyl but for pebble finish, follow the plaster guidelines as it is pebble embedded into the plaster.

With your numbers, you probably need to SLAM. If your water is cloudy/green or you fail the OCLT, that will confirm the SLAM is needed. Most here would expect though that if your FC went below the minimum for your CYA, a SLAM is likely going to be needed. It does not take long for stuff to start growing.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Marlahoutex View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of the casa. Hopefully the panoramic works.

--------------

14. Back To Top    #14

oh man that's a great looking pool.

It is possible his tap water is 5 chlorine. I read somewhere it can be up to that amount.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

15. Back To Top    #15

Are you sure you aren't mixing up your FC and CC numbers for your TC number? I don't think I've ever read on here someone having combined chlorine of 5.

I have a salt water pool but I try to keep my CYA at 70 and my FC between 6-7 because we have a crepe myrtle tree near the pool.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I see no reason to drain your pool based on your posted numbers.

Pebble and quartz (and even completely tiled) are all plaster pools and should be balanced and maintained according to that set of levels.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I see no reason to drain your pool based on your posted numbers.

Pebble and quartz (and even completely tiled) are all plaster pools and should be balanced and maintained according to that set of levels.
    we got the mother nature pool water exchange going on anyway. 7 inches since Friday evening.

Im thankful to hear there's no difference in pebble vs plaster for the method.

My initial concern would be like for a wax for a car. Is it safe to use on fiberglass?? Well follow all these directions and you'll have success. And when it messes up someone chimes in and says oh it shouldn't be used on fiberglass. I wanted to make sure the method was good for pebble finishes before any expensive damage was caused and someone chiming in later oh it shouldn't be used on pebble____

thanks again

18. Back To Top    #18

Given your CH and TA, I would definitely keep an eye on your pH. You do not want to induce calcium scaling.

Pebble/SWG owner here and - after you finish slamming, if that's the route for you - I would make a habit of maintaining your CYA at 70-80 and your chlorine just above the target. That will help keep you square.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by txnole View Post
    Given your CH and TA, I would definitely keep an eye on your pH. You do not want to induce calcium scaling.

Pebble/SWG owner here and - after you finish slamming, if that's the route for you - I would make a habit of maintaining your CYA at 70-80 and your chlorine just above the target. That will help keep you square.
    Interesting on the higher cya. How did you come to that ? Trail and error?

--------------

20. Back To Top    #20

The suggested CYA for SWG is 60-80. Once my pool settled in, it seemed 70-80 was the better range for our year-round pool here in FL. I run my SWG at 27% year-round.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.