Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light Green Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Light Green Pool

Alright guys I am finally posting instead of lurking. So here goes, my pool started doing the same thing as the Olympic's turning a light green. If I am reading the test right, I just dropped 1 gal of chlorinating liquid in the pool..

FC - 14.5
    CC - 1..Not sure I did this right
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 260
    CH - 70
    CYA - over a 100
    7600 GAL Coleman 18 X 48 AG vinyl, 2100 GPH Intex Krystal Clear Sand filter, K2006 kit, Intex Auto Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light Green Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Do the diluted cya test to see how far over 100 it really is. Then do a partial drain to lower CYA to 50 and SLAM it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks pooldv. How do I perform a diluted cya test.
    7600 GAL Coleman 18 X 48 AG vinyl, 2100 GPH Intex Krystal Clear Sand filter, K2006 kit, Intex Auto Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Use half pool water and half tap water, then multiply the result by 2.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! Are you in Jackson, NJ? If so, is your fill water coming from the township or well? You have to be careful with the well water because it contains iron and possibly metals. My well water, when tested shows high concentrations of iron and/or metals so I stay away, but some people have no choice. For the pool, I use city water only.

The good news is that after you verify your CYA, because it could be well over 100, diluting and filling the pool will not take long. Is the water green, or do you have algae on the walls. Your CC (combined chlorine) of 1 requires you to perform a SLAM until you pass all 3 tests. How is your chlorine consumption and how are you dosing the pool?

Please keep us posted!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Depends on your well and how far down you are. I'm from Jackson, but my well is down over 300'. My water tests out better than Poland Spring according to the DEP test I got when I closed. Jackson does have a number of older homes on significantly more shallow wells to the tune of 50-125'. It also depends on if your well driller hit a vein. I got lucky with mine.
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Catanzaro I am from Jackson, GA and I am on city water. Ok I couldn't take just draining some and then have to do it again, so I drained all the way down to 2 inches and started over.
    CYA: 0
    FC: 2.5
    CC: 0 W/ FAINT PINK
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 80
    CH: 40