Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much sand ??

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

How much sand ??

I have an older Hayward sand filter and it seems to have lost a bit of it's performance. I opened it up to take a look at it and I'm wondering if it has enough sand in it.
    There's no info on the filter but I'm pretty sure it's a S240 that's supposed to hold 300lbs of sand.
    Plenty of room to add two or three bags but wondering if they're needed and or will help at all
    Getting ready to do a deep clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much sand ??

I'm not an expert by any means, but I just filled mine a week and a half ago. My pool builder told me 10 to 12 inches down from the top was the right fill level. level. Mine's a little bit different with the multi port on top comma so I'm not sure how that relates to your filter.

24' round Radiant Metric, Partial IG install, 14000 gal, Circupool RJ30 SWG, Hayward Super VS, 250#Sand Filter, TF100 test kit.

Marion, NY

3. Back To Top    #3

Fill to about an inch below the edge.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Well I dropped in the 3 bags (150lbs) of sand and I did end up close to an inch from the top. I think it was low on sand but I'm not seeing or feeling any of it sitting on the bottom

Will likely take it apart this fall or coming spring and check the laterals just to be sure. Too nice a day so I cleaned it, added the sand and I'm
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably lost some during backwashing.