Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae bloom dead or alive?

1. Back To Top    #1
    SW FL

Algae bloom dead or alive?

I hope this question will make sense:

I just netted a small amount of loose debris off of the bottom of my pool. I looked inside the net and was greeted with a small piece of green. It was the size of a Barbie-doll piece of broccoli.

Now, this was loose in the bottom. So, my question is this: How do you know if an algae bloom is dead or alive? If this was missed when I last vacuumed, would it change in color if my chlorine had killed it?

I just ordered a new test kit, so I cannot post quality numbers right now. With my K-1004, my chlorine was at least a 5 (the highest reading it gives.)

My water clarity is fantastic! I could read the fine print of a contract if it were taped to the bottom of the 5-foot deep end.

8K gal IG Fiberglass (San Juan Waikiki I)
    TF-100 Testing Kit
    Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Model 320 Automatic Chlorine/Bromine In-Line Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Algae bloom dead or alive?

The best way to see if you have something organic growing in the pool is to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Once you have your test kit give that a try.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach