Safe SLAMing for MUSTARD

May 2, 2016
Four Oaks, NC
New pool owner here. Had a bad clamp on my hose at the filter for the return line and blew the hose off twice before I could fix it for good. Lost water down to skimmer both times. Not too long later, started seeing very fine silt on the bottom of the pool (or so I thought). Vacuumed very slowly several times and it came right back. I thought I had channeled the sand in the filter and was just not filtering properly. Deep cleaned the filter and redistributed the sand.

Came back from vacation and the silt is back and now greenish. Realize now that it is mustard algae. I've slammed once before for regular algae. The directions for mustard say do a regular slam then increase it to mustard level. Does that mean complete the entire slam, let fall back to normal, then increase to mustard level? Or just bring the FC up to slam level, hold and brush till OCLT passes then increase to mustard level? Then hold for how long?

Also, is it ok to go in the pool to brush it at slam levels? When is it too high to enter? It's very hard to vacuum and brush from outside my pool.

Here's my levels coming back from vacation. ( I thought I might be having a problem so I turned up the SWG to 50% when I left to help slow whatever was wrong)

pH 7.8 - 8 (dosed with muriatic acid haven't tested again yet)
FC 7.5
CC <0.5
TA 70
CYA 60 (although not too confident in how well I perform this test, is there a better test than the viewing tube?)
CH 175
temp 86

Here is the mustard algae page, it covers all of your questions and more. As soon as you pass the slam raise FC to mustard level for 24 hours.
Pool School - Mustard Algae

Yes, it is safe to swim with FC up to shock level.

If in doubt on your cya test raise it to the next 10 and use those numbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.